Agnostic.com

9 17

LINK Atheists Will No Longer Have to Swear an Oath to God in Order to Vote in Alabama | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Good news!!

After filing a lawsuit, atheists in Alabama have successfully eliminated a religious test for voting.

Here’s the backstory: Until recently, if you wanted to register to vote in Alabama, you had to read and sign a declaration that included a religious reference: I solemnly swear or affirm to support and defend the constitution of the United States and the State of Alabama and further disavow any belief or affiliation with any group which advocates the overthrow of the governments of the United States or the State of Alabama by unlawful means and that the information contained herein is true, so help me God.

Some people may just ignore that, but let’s be clear: That’s a religious reference that has no business on any kind of voter registration form, much less in a declaration every person needs to sign in order to gain a right they already have.

It’s not just innocuous either. If you sign that statement without actually agreeing with what it says, it’s perjury. That form even says that anyone who “falsely” signs the statement could be “convicted and imprisoned for up to five years.” That means Alabama atheists who don’t want to swear an oath to God are technically committing a crime by doing what they must in order to vote. Whether or not they would be prosecuted for it is besides the point.

HippieChick58 9 Apr 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I fail to see what is discriminatory in the original oath. To "swear or confirm" should satisfy both the religious and nonreligious. You can confirm without being one who swears on religion. Same phrase is also used for trial witnesses and oaths of office.

Oh wait, did not read down far enough before replying. Strike out the "So help me God" part at the end and the rest looks fine to me. That not only discriminates again the nonreligious, but also all non-Christians.

Faithfools lose again!!!! good.

That's an important victory, especially in Alabama,the incest capital of the South..

Probably why I always think of banjo music and the movie Deliverance when I think of Alabama and Georgia. Too many rednecks and inbreds...

Oh goody, Alabamastan got slapped down a notch!!🤣🤣🤣

Thank Glob.

Justice!

Praise the Lord, it's about time!

I wonder if it wasn't an option to just cross out the objectionable words, and sign the amended statement? That's what I do, rather than sign something to which I do not fully agree.

I mean, I'm glad they changed the form - that language should never have been in there - but I wonder how many people are aware that they can amend these forms themselves?

I can't believe that such a requirement was constitutional in the first place.

It's not.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:589248
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.