Agnostic.com

23 3

What is the best way to have a convincing moral argument?

Unlike scientific or factual arguments, where the best positions are those with the best supporting evidence, moral arguments by their very nature cannot be based upon objective verifiable measurements. Almost every time I see an argument where morality is brought up, it becomes a contest of opinions.

Katrik 7 Apr 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sam Harris is working on an evidence based system of morals and/or ethics. IMO that's an undertaking for several lifetimes, but a worthwhile one.

@RonAnybody
I saw Harris talk about this idea. I think it’s based on whether an alleged action or statement increases or decreases human suffering. Quantifying it seems difficult. I like the idea.

To me the best way to win a moral argument is not by verbal exchange, it's by actions. One can scream relentlessly that they the most moral person known to man, but their actions may tell otherwise.

When I get some free time (Wednesday) I'll put together a plan for you. It's fairly easy to follow and then all you need to do is be sceptical. Always get the other side to ask questions about their own thoughts.

I lost my free time today, I was called into work at no notice on my day off. Please remind to sort out an argument package for you.

Do your research befor embarking on this one, else you might end up being embarresed by not having answers.

Found this normally works.

Coldo Level 8 Apr 16, 2018

I watched a video on arguments on the Philosophy Crash Course yesterday. It was good. You need empirical evidence for your premise and conclusion.

Listen and respect

MsAl Level 8 Apr 16, 2018

Slowly....and with an open mind.

Name-calling, rock throwing, and when all else fails, an aluminum baseball bat.
🙂

to be a convincing moral person, known by your acts, not words.

Argue on the basis of hurting or not hurting people. If they try to drag it back to religion, just say you don't want to hear what they think god says, but what they have to say. Sometimes, it's a struggle to keep the conversation on track. (I'm in a closed argument group on fb, and some people think that name slinging is a good way to argue, and another just give the name slingers a hug meme. They catch on fast.)

Be true to yourself and live your morals.

Evidence

First you must assess if the conversation will be civil, respectful of everyones opinion and time is not rushed. Talking in turns, for example, will help here.
Second, a clear value system must be put in place to weigh the arguments i.e. reducing human suffering/life, environmental impact, future generations, freedom of expression, human rights, etc...
lastly, lots of alcohol to loosen inhibition (wink!)

Try not to be personal and insulting .. if that fails make sure you have a bigger gun .!!!!!

Jackboots and rifles seem effective.

I think the key word is argument. As the quote says, it is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and confirm it. Most people who want to argue their perceptions/morality are doing it more so to convince themselves than someone else. There are some very useful counseling techniques that work very well with people who want to argue, such as letting them “run the tape out”, parroting, summarizing, and active listening. Let them keep talking until they exhaust themselves and they usually say something foolish to get you to engage.

Love this quote by George Bernard Shaw:

I learned long ago not to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

Logic and honor is the only side one can be, to be on the right side.

be passionate about what youre saying?

Don't like to argue morality or religion.

I don't think you can have a convincing moral argument (as in persuading someone to your point of view). I do think one can share his/her point of view which could open someone up to a different perspective.

Accept morality as Subjective, argue within that scope.
Use logic and win the day.

Not hard.

I'd say math. Do the math and see which option inconveniences the fewest people, or (what's the antonym of inconvenience?) conveniences the most, degrees need to be considered ofcourse. There's your moral compass.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:58973
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.