Agnostic.com

1 2

One of the great disappointmrnts and major errors in the last 20 years is the militarization of American law enforcement. This one fact has done more to change the paradigm regarding how law enforcement sees their role than any other single factor. What once a paradigm of service to community and protecting of its citizens, instead has changed to a mindset of an occupying force.

When Bush made available the military grade weaponry and equipment to American law enforcement agencies a paradigm shift occurred. After Bush's draw down fron Iraq and Afghanisran, massive amounts of military grade weaponry and equipment suddenly came available. In order not to leave it behind in these countiies it was offered up to police agencies. Obama unfortunately allowed it to continue, and trump even encouraged and promoted the policy.

Now with police wearing tactical gear made for the battlefield and weapons of the same intent, a mental paradigm shift occurred in law enforcement. Equiped like an army, police now envisioned themselves as an occuoying force in the communites they once felt compelled to protect and serve. Im not even sure if they were consciously aware of the shift themselves. This phenomena has been academically researchef and verified in multiple studies.

Couple this with the number of military veterans and spec ops veterans being hired to law enforcement agencies upon their return from deployment, and ths paradign shift was almost complete. Importing their experience with working on a war zone and law enforcement philosophical shift was complete. Police were now an occupying force and their communities had become enemy combatants as opposed to citizens. The transition was made totally complete when police agecies across the nation began teaching killology mechanics and strategems as opposed to de-escalation strategems and techniques.

So now across the nation we are witnessing a occupation force as opposed to a neighborhood police department. Dump all the military weaponry, get rid of the military assault vehicles, reduce the number of weapons on your belt and come out among the citizenry and become one of us agsin.

t1nick 8 Apr 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The access to military gear does nothing to improve policing and should be stopped. However, the recent spate of murders is unrelated. Military equipment was not employed or otherwise involved in these murders The deaths appear to be caused by either racist ideology (Blake, Floyd), personal grudge (Floyd) or extreme incompetence (McDonald, Wright). The latter extreme incompetence being the instinctual aggression generated when prey tries to get away, but is likely coupled with racism that enables the police to devalue a person into prey. Overall, the police departments may be irreparably degraded by white nationalists and masculine psychotics.

I disagree with you on one point. While military weaponry or equipment was not directly involved in these killings, the underlying prevailing paradigm was. You don't necessarily need to involve the equipment directly to be guilty of the perception that the greater movement has created. To view your victim as as a combatant and as a threat to be eliminated even when no threat existed is part of the paradigm shift brought on by the militarization of law enforcenent.

@t1nick You could be right. I don't have the sense that police regard their role as serving the public, and instead regard it as an us-vs-them, which is close to the combat mentality you describe. I'd like to see an authoritative reference that validates your assertion. I believe the infiltration by white nationalists to be a much bigger influence.

@racocn8

I'll have to look again. I've posted references on previous posts over the last three years. I havent saved them. Would have to do another search.

And yes I agree infiltration by white nationalist has been a problem, but I think that problem goes back much further than the one I initially presented.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:590081
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.