Agnostic.com

2 1

LINK Opinion | The Collapse of the American Empire

"America's defeat in Afghanistan is one in a string of catastrophic military blunders that herald the death of the American empire. With the exception of the first Gulf War, fought largely by mechanized units in the open desert that did not—wisely—attempt to occupy Iraq, the United States political and military leadership has stumbled from one military debacle to another. Korea. Vietnam. Lebanon. Afghanistan. Iraq. Syria. Libya. The trajectory of military fiascos mirrors the sad finales of the Chinese, Ottoman, Hapsburg, Russian, French, British, Dutch, Portuguese and Soviet empires. While each of these empires decayed with their own peculiarities, they all exhibited patterns of dissolution that characterize the American experiment.

Imperial ineptitude is matched by domestic ineptitude. The collapse of good government at home, with legislative, executive and judicial systems all seized by corporate power, ensures that the incompetent and the corrupt, those dedicated not to the national interest but to swelling the profits of the oligarchic elite, lead the country into a cul-de-sac. Rulers and military leaders, driven by venal self-interest, are often buffoonish characters in a grand comic operetta. How else to think of Allen Dulles, Dick Cheney, George W. Bush, Donald Trump or the hapless Joe Biden? While their intellectual and moral vacuity is often darkly amusing, it is murderous and savage when directed towards their victims."

WilliamCharles 8 Apr 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Falling from hegemony will be good for us and for the rest of humanity, imo. Rome and the Ottoman empire merely transformed. Romans didn’t die out and neither did the Ottomans. I think we will be ok if we become better stewards of the planet and of each other. I don’t think our military might or influence s necessary in order for us to prosper.

My late former FIL often referred to the excesses of the Roman government as being responsible for their downfall. They did not take the necessary steps to stomp out homosexuality. I don't think the US needs to be a world leader, we need to all work together. The US has too much BS going on at home, we can no longer be the world's policeman. Will the US recover, I have no idea. But I see a great deal of change in the future of the entire planet.

@K9Kohle789 My late former FIL was extremely homophobic, as are his sons... They regard it as a lifestyle choice or sin. Even now.

@K9Kohle789 One of the best parts of the divorce is not being exposed to the extended family any longer.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:590564
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.