Agnostic.com

6 3

LINK Electric cars: Low earners may never get to drive one | Business| Economy and finance news from a German perspective | DW | 20.09.2019

The beginning of the end of personal transportation for the average Joe.

barjoe 9 Apr 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Prices will lower but for now they are out of reach for most, public transportation is for metropolitan areas at present

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 23, 2021

Public transit would not be personal transportation.

@barjoe In metropolitan areas it works

@bobwjr it's not personal transportation

Regardless of where you live we need public transportation and not just for low wage earners.

I have driven Priuses for 3 years. The first one was a 2008 with 92,000 miles on it. I traded it in for a 2014 with 27,000 miles on it last year. Many of my local friends that were anti-hybrid said that if I ever had to buy a replacement battery for the hybrid it would break me. That was probably true with my 2007 Ford escape hybrid when I bought it in 2011 but now you can get rebuilt hybrid batteries for 4 or $500.BTW that Ford escape now has 230,000 miles on it and I spent only $1,100 on repairs in 7 years. I sold it to a friend and last year he drove it to Washington state New Mexico and Florida and he's going to have to spend $400 on something to do with the brakes.

All this personal car history is illustrate that I'm looking forward to more new technology so I can keep driving because I live in a rural area and I would love to have a Tesla. I wrote in one last year and it was a good ride. The plain old computer screen was kind of distracting to me and not very attractive but maybe someday they'll improve that. I'm sure at my age I'll need one with voice commands. Actually by the time I need another car I'll probably need one which drives itself.

If I ever get another car (2015 Nissan Rogue right now) it will be electric. Especially if they keep tax breaks on purchases. Tesla is supposed to be coming out with a @$20k model, others will follow. I generally put less than 5k miles on a year, it would work great for me.

I would have no place to charge it. I just want to put gas in my car and drive. I don't believe people will actually buy them. Not in my lifetime. I'd never buy any Tesla product and they won't be $20K. Ever.

they will become cheaper just like everything else that is around a while and used by more and more ppl

I remember when you couldn't buy a color 19 inch TV for less than $500

The Yugo version will pop up,no doubt

We gotta drive around in a Yugo? Batteries degrade in 10 years. How many 2011 cars do you see? A lot. You don't have to change the engines every 10 years. What do you do with them? Put in a new $10K battery? Crush them? In my lifetime, I will drive an internal combustion car. I'll never buy an EV.

@barjoe As original owner, I'm still driving a 1998 Toyota 4Runner (original engine) which was totaled (for insurance purposes) in 2008 (I did all the repairs myself). 🙂

If needed, my next vehicle might be an EV. 😮

@FearlessFly You'd never be able to fix a totaled EV, even if you had R2R. Never. Orange wires will give you a buzz.

@barjoe [cnbc.com]

[driving.ca]

@FearlessFly He's making my point for me. He hasn't had to do any major body work like you did. He didn't discuss any high voltage wiring. He believes in EVs and inTesla as a company. I don't. 2030? I am sure 75% of cars will still be ICE in 2030, probably more. These guys love Tesla and believe in Tesla, I don't know why.

@barjoe The only "body work" I did was to pound-out the dents -- no bondo, no paint. 🙂

I am neither anti-Tesla nor pro-Tesla.
I am pro Right to Repair, be it John Deere, Tesla, Apple/Android, Maytag, whatever.
IIUC Teslas' OS is a version of Linux . . .

@FearlessFly 10 year old 4runner was totaled? Sounds like a lot damage. I figure I'll be dead in 20 years, ICE will be dominant until then.

@barjoe . . . "a lot" ?

I had to replace the entire driver-side front suspension and rear axle w/brake-drum (never done either before), and radiator.

@FearlessFly My basic problem with EVs are my personal situation. I don't have a parking spot. I park on the street. I sometimes don't use my car for a week. If you let an a EV sit it discharges. A gas car can sit for a month, if the battery is good, it starts right up. You need gas, you put gas in it. If I had a driveway, I could leave the car on charger at home. If it's dead and you're on the street, you are screwed. I can't have one. It won't work. Hybrids are good, you just put gas in them. Plug in won't work for urban dwellers. Me.

@barjoe i wasn't saying i like electric....for one thing, where is the lower pollution if we have to make a boatload more electricity so everybody can charge? Nor are disposing of bajillions of spent batteries going to be a picnic. Never mind making bajillians of new ones. I'm saying there has always been money in cheap knock-offs, whether cars or lipsticks.

@AnneWimsey I'm sure someday, when I'm long gone, gasoline cars will be relics. Unless I move to a place with a driveway, an EV won't be possible for me to own. I don't drive that much, my car doesn't pollute much, I hafta have ICE car. EVs are good for a lot of people. They don't work for me.

I'd be happy with public transportation and safe bike lanes so we don't need too.

MsAl Level 8 Apr 23, 2021

I don't consider a bicycle to be personnel transportation. It's not a car.

@barjoe its not a car. But it is perfectly fit transportation if there are safe places to use them. It's ridiculous we all have these 2 ton machines moving us everywhere and it isn't really always necessary. Bike lanes make it so not as many people need cars.

@MsAl Bikes are fine. I don't want to give up my car though. I have a very small carbon footprint. My car is only 1800 lbs and it gets 40 mpg. I've had like 5 bikes stolen in Philly and with all the potholes, it's not that great.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:591442
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.