Agnostic.com

4 9

LINK We’re all socially awkward now - The Washington Post

“I’m looking for a kumquat. Do you know what that looks like?”

Kay Kingsman flagged down a fellow shopper in the grocery store with that question — and no, he couldn’t identify a kumquat. But she kept on talking. “How’s your day?” she recalls asking. “Having a fun grocery trip?”

Kingsman, a 27-year-old manufacturing engineer in Portland, Ore., dragged the conversation on so long that this stranger in the citrus aisle interjected with an answer to a question she hadn’t pondered: “I’m married.”

That’s when Kingsman realized she didn’t know how to have a casual conversation with a stranger anymore. She hadn’t been flirting, at least not intentionally. She’d been earnestly seeking those little orange oblongs for a cake she was baking, and once she opened her mouth, she was so excited to be talking to someone that she couldn’t stop.

HippieChick58 9 Apr 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I used to babble on...now it is pathologic-level

Yeah, it has become awkward, I now ask if I can get on an elevator with 1 other person..ugh.

I totally understand! I'm shy, introverted, happy at home, etc...but even I have limits. I've had an almost identical experience in the grocery store.

Lucky for me, it ended happily . He mentioned his wife, I mentioned my husband, and we went on to chat for another ten minutes about kids, pets, and family stuff.

Some of us don't like to talk to strangers. How about his feelings? Wasn't that situation just as awkward for him? More so. He was minding his own business. If she wants kumquats she should ask an employee.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:592015
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.