Agnostic.com

6 28

The Cascade Mountain foothills are alive with flowers!

Despite having a kidney infection, today Karen and I steeply hiked in the Cascade foothills above Leavenworth, WA. We hiked 5.5 miles total with over 2,000 feet of elevation gain and loss. "We took the steepest trail," Karen said. No kidding.

Yellow Balsamroot plants were sacred to the Wenatchii Indians. They boiled and ate the tuberous roots. I have never seen blooming Balsamroot so magnificent and prolific! The bright yellow flowers covered every hillside and cliff.

I can't believe how tired I feel afterward. This kidney infection takes the wind out of my sails.

1. We paused at this overlook and climbed higher.

2. Mountains surrounding Leavenworth rise between 5,000 and 8,000 feet elevation.

3. Twin flowers live up to their name.

4. Blue Camas flowers are famous for only growing at Camas Meadows in North Central Washington. Apparently birds ate Blue Camas flower seeds in Camas Meadows and deposited them at Ski Hill in Leavenworth. Twenty aerial miles away. The light blue flowers look bleached in the sun.

5. Magnificent yellow Balsamroot covered every hill and cliff.

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Love the spring flowers, they just take over the landscapes and turn it into never ending beauty

The other comments thus far have covered anything that I could say, the pictures are as always beautiful, take care of yourself, and now with my tongue in cheek, have you tried bleach? 🤔😉🤣

Take it easy with that kidney infection, kidneys are hard to live without, and there are people that love you and NEED you. The pictures are beautiful. I hope you recover completely very soon.

Great pictures! Don’t overdo it with the kidney infection. Nobody wants you to do long term damage

Lovely pictures, thank you, I hope you enjoyed the walk despite the infection and that it clears quickly.

I take it that Camas is the common name for Camasia, I wonder which came first, is the scientific name based on the popular name, or is the popular name just a shortening of the scientific name ?

Update. Don't worry I looked it up. It seems that they are both derived from the native American, Quamash, though I do not know what that means.

Take care of that kidney infection. You're too valuable an asset to this group.

@BitFlipper

Thank you so much.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:592802
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.