Agnostic.com

7 0

LINK Little Hell on the Prairie - TheHumanist.com

Walking into the restaurant, I knew we’d made a bad choice. The hostess greeted us with indifference, which isn’t especially odd in a small town inundated with outsiders seeking a slice of American history. But what did unnerve me were the silent stares from the locals as we were guided to our booth. Not even a hint of a smile passed across anyone’s face despite my attempt at a warm welcoming glance in every direction. In fact, most diners looked down, avoiding all eye contact.

The real shock came with the deliberate turning of backs as we settled into our booth. Every customer sitting near the front-windows across from us slowly, with purpose, turned their backs.

zblaze 7 Apr 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I'm taking road trips, I enjoy stopping off at small town restaurants, and diners. That's one way to get to know the country, and the people in it. Experiences are always variable. Some people may be friendly. Others may be standoffish.But it's always fun just listening in on their conversations. Be it Kansas farmers discussing crops and weather. Or Australian tourists marveling over sugar in paper packets, and creamer 'substitute' in little plastic tubs.

Well of course they turned their backs. You are complete strangers. Every one looks to see if they know you from town. Then they have to do the social dance. You are a stranger. Why would we welcome someone no one knows? Were you wearing a turban or a burka? Just joking.

There is as much heart in the heartland as there is service in a service station.

Welcome to America's heartland. SMH.

JimG Level 8 Apr 19, 2018

I find it infuriating that every single comments to that blog was a variation on the theme of 'NUH-UUUHHH!'. Fuckin hell.

Right! One of the commenters on World Truth asked if I had read them, I replied no, that they are probably all from that town. Sure enough they all were...lol.

The commentator said that the problem was with the mixed couples 'self identity' ie Korean American instead of just America. I told him he was full of shit!

""We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.""
These Hipocrites claim to be religious patriotic Americans but don't live by the words of our founding fathers.​

You are from a big world. You know what people in the small world do, how they think, right? So, don't let emotion take over you. Sometimes we expect too much. Don't we?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:59313
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.