Agnostic.com

2 0

LINK How the Pentagon Got Serious About UFOs | RealClearScience

What do members think about a ongoing stories about UFOs, specifically the military acknowledging espects of UFOs? There have been many stories lately; I just chose one for this post.

For myself, I've noted some serious minded scientist types on this site disparaging UFOs, quite certain that the probabilities are impossible, so to speak. But I have never believed the credibility-challenged authorities on this, and their denials of any evidence. Also, have to say, I saw Neil Degrass Tyson on CNN a couple of years ago, wheeled out to disparage a current UFO story, and he was so over the top in his dismissing and laughing attitude, I couldn't help but think, 'ok, this guy really is an asset of the US Military Industrial Complex brought out to neutralize the issue' as some have suggested.

Like any issue i have always thought that there needs to be clear evidence, and not just believe it, like some UFO pseudo religionists do, but there's more coming out about this now, don't you think?

David1955 8 May 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You have never heard that nobody can prove a negative? Reeeaaaalllllly?

No negative is being proved here or needs to be proved. Fact: a lot of things are seen, photographed, or filmed. What are these things? In the age of everybody walking around with movie cameras in their pockets, the amount of material is huge. Not to mention satellites, aircraft cameras, ground based cameras and so on. There is something going on at the moment with the release of commentary even from the military about this subject, and despite my extreme wariness of authorities, I'm interested in where this is heading. That's all.

You are confused....the negative you are trying to "prove otherwise" is, obviously, that flying sauces exist, (or not!) Exactly akin to claiming there is a gawd....based on what....oh, yeah,, burning bushes, hearsay, myths, "sightings" and the like.
Look into it all you like, butaccept8ng"proof" such has been 0resented for thousands of years of either gawds or flying saucers, therefore pulling the wool over your own eyes, seems pretty silly to me.....

Elsewhere, a post discussing the nature of cults discusses whether atheism is a cult. Atheism significantly associates with those who identify as Debunkers. Debunkers, like Degrass Tyson, happily trot out disinformation and propaganda in furtherance of their views, and scrupulously avoid considering facts that are contrary. That level of partisanship plainly crosses the line of cultism. ...Unless they are being paid... Sagan was tapped to consult on UFOs early in his career, and there are rumors... Perhaps before Sagan was Donald Menzel, the original UFO debunker.

To your point, Menzel's name appeared in papers purporting to brief officials on Roswell. The documents list Menzel as a member of MJ-12. While the authenticity of these papers remain disputed, their content could not have come from outside the CIA. Indeed, no one had any idea that Menzel had a role in evaluating UFOs for the security agencies, but he wrote extensively to debunk UFO's. Apparently the CIA tasked him with developing disinformation. So, your intuition on Degrass Tyson is spot on.

The proposition that the vast gulfs of space could be traversed requires physics and technology that don't exist, so far as anyone can say. And yet, the quantity and quality of reports show significant consistency. Every intelligence agency has UFO files that have been found with FOIAs, and a lot is available on-line. (Personally, I love the FBI files on cattle mutilations.) Some of these files document other utterly bizarre incidents. Vast troves of information remain classified, much of it technical. As Harry Reid recently said, the Pentagon disclosures are just a sliver of what is in hand. AATIP's Bigelow and Elizondo have both said wreckage has been recovered.

Don't expect any love within Agnostic.com. Out of the many UFO posts I've put up, very few have responded. Sadly, this group has extremely limited curiosity in this regard.

[agnostic.com]

Remember the curse of UFOlogy, that so many researchers have died without getting satisfaction from the government. Perhaps the forthcoming report....?

Interesting. Yes, sceptics are terrified of being associated with 'conspiracies' of any kind, lest they be criticised. But I grew up hearing American lies about the Vietnam war, later learning about cover up, false flags and military criminality. So while I maintain a strict view of factual belief based on evidence, I also keep an eye of issues vehemently denied by authorities and agencies when something doesn't smell right. Just like the Vietnamese war didn't smell right to us in the late 60s, and we were right. I expect the usual indifference by those on this site, but there has been so much coming out about this issue recently I can't help but think a tipping point may have been reached. We will see, keeping a strict eye on the quality of the evidence. I must also say, I get peeved when I hear science heads here adamantly claim that aliens reaching the earth is impossible, that travel around the universe just can't happen and anyone who think so is just stupid. Excuse me, I think, but how the frig do you know? Do you know everything there is to know in science or the universe? Can you not show some respect for what you don't know. Make these claims on the basis of our current ignorance, I would say. I don't think that attitude is honest scepticism but dogmatism, and I hate dogmatic thinking.

@David1955 I get very frustrated with the debunking attitude of some science-minded people. The whole idea of science seeks enlightenment with a diversity of ideas, so when they plug their ears, you have to wonder what is going on. Historical documents from US archives proves the US military and security agencies believed (knew) these objects to be real but felt compelled to develop debunking programs like Blue Book and the Condon Committee. These programs carried over into the public in the form of unwritten threats and intimidation of pilots and even just civilians who saw them. Scientists learned that they would ruin their careers if they expressed any interest in the subject.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:593518
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.