Agnostic.com

5 2

So I don't often see eye to eye with Caitlyn Jenner. Republicans have been very anti-trans and anti-LGBTQ, so, at minimum, she does not at all seem deserving of the ridiculous amount of praise that was poured on her when she announced she was trans. I can't really tell her apart from any other shitty fuckin' Republican that says one thing or pretends to be one thing, and then does the polar opposite. But the most recent Jenner-related news (why is that still a thing by the way, are we so fucking mindless that we still have to watch this fucking family) is about her thoughts on trans girls in girls' sports. Not really sure why that's not the logical way to look at this, especially if there are potentially scholarships on the line (maybe that shouldn't be a thing anymore either?)
Amidst the backlash for her statement a doctor and researcher Eric Villain was asked about the notion of fairness of trans girls in sports. This is a snippet of what he had to say:

VILAIN: "Yes, we know that men have on average an advantage in performance in athletics of about 10 to 12% over women, which the sports authorities have attributed to differences in levels of a male hormone called testosterone. The question is whether there is in real life, during actual competitions, an advantage of performance linked to this male hormone and whether trans athletes are systematically winning all competitions.

The answer to this latter question - are trans athletes winning everything? - is simple. That's not the case. And higher levels of the male hormone testosterone are associated with better performance only in a very small number of athletic disciplines - 400 meters, 800 meters, hammer throw, pole vault. And it certainly does not explain the whole 10% difference.

And lastly, I would say that every sport requires different talents and anatomies for success. So I think we should focus on celebrating this diversity rather than focusing on relative notions of fairness. For example, the body of a marathon runner is extremely different than the body of a shotput champion. And a trans woman athlete may have some advantage on the basketball field because of her height but would be at a disadvantage in gymnastics."

He starts by saying, "Yes, we know that men have on average an advantage in performance in athletics of about 10 to 12% over women" and then immediately pretends like he didn't admit that and straw-mans himself talking about testosterone and body types. But the real question is, if there isn't a real world advantage to being biologically one sex or the other in various sporting competitions, then why do we have them separate in the first place? You can't have it both ways.

Am I missing something?

ChestRockfield 8 May 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't live in CA so have no say. I don't like Jenner as a person, and would prefer she fail in every way, but I'm kind of mean about this. She's outside the interests of trans people and more into one that I'm amazed is surviving. That I can only hope doesn't survive. So, if that's where she's gone, then I have no real empathy for her survival. Fail, bitch.

Caitlyn Jenner is an terrible person. In 2015, she recklessly ran another car into oncoming traffic, killing the driver. Anybody else would've been charged with vehicular homicide. Because of her wealth and fame, Bruce Jenner at the time, wasn't charged. Did have to pay a civil judgement so, ze did it.

Maybe XY trans athletes should wear handicaps like they do for horses. (In a horse handicap race (sometimes called just "handicap" ), each horse must carry a specified weight called the impost, assigned by the racing secretary or steward based on factors such as past performances, so as to equalize the chances of the competitors.)

I like the brainstorming. I mean, there's no real answer to such a complicated problem, especially when you consider all the other fucked up shit involved in it that are problems in their own right.
I was thinking about something like all sports being co-ed with required participation from both sexes, but then what do you do about all-girls or all-boys schools?

@JeffMurray Any Trans who wins a competition is subject to a lawsuit. The only way to prevent it would be to have the biologically female competitors sign a release. We'll probably need to see how the courts view this and whether the view changes over time and experience.

@racocn8 It would be nice if this was the start of us realizing we concentrate on all the wrong shit and value the wrong things... but I doubt it.

“He”

Republicans being anti-trans...

@JeffMurray I’m pro science. What can I say...

@CourtJester That's not science, it's language and phobia.

@JeffMurray “He” is actually just proper English. Duh....

@CourtJester There's nothing proper about addressing people differently than they like.

@JeffMurray what they like and what they are biologically are two different things.
Trust the science

@CourtJester But the pronoun used doesn't have to correlate with biology. That's where the language and hate comes in. Trust the hate that's associated with your party.

@JeffMurray speaking truth is hate?

@CourtJester Intentional use of the wrong part of a definition is truth?

My homosexual male friends say not to vote for her. That's all I need to know.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:593697
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.