Agnostic.com

35 14

Do you feel it is appropriate to take your own life if you have a debilitating illness, such as cancer, and there is no hope that you will survive no matter what treatment may be offered? Why or why not?

CuddyCruiser 8 May 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's My Life and only I am responsible for it.

A person's life is theirs and theirs alone. If someone chooses to end their life for whatever reason they feel is justified that's their right. Will some people choose death pre-maturely, yes. Some teens will die because they were bullied, some young adults will die because they think they've failed at life by the age of 25. There's bound to be tragedies but for the people who've reached the end of their tether or for whom continued existence is a fate worse than death, it's a way out.

My brother's death from brain cancer was nightmarish and went on for months. If he could have been euthanized, I would have demanded it to spare him from the suffering he endured to die naturally. In a case like that, assisted suicide wasn't just preferable, it was the merciful action to take on behalf of a loved one.

I once put my cat down when he was ravaged by feline leukemia so I could end his pain. How is it we can perform this act of mercy on our pets but not for our family?

I have absolutely no problem with assisted suicide. I hate the word suicide. So, I have no problem with someone ending their own life, as long as they are in a sane and rational state of mind. Right now, I do not know what I would do. If I were in intense pain, I may wish to find relief from said pain. However, I feel responsible to certain people and their feelings - NONE of which hold religious convictions. Those family members who would want to stop me, on religious grounds, can go pound sand. It would, however, be something I would discuss before choosing to do so.

Yes. My life; my choice to die as I wish.

Absolutely. In 11 states we have the Death with Dignity program and the number is rising. In a couple of European countries there is even an euthanasia program. This should be a fundamental right of every person. Also, there is a group known as "Final Exit" which is actively involved in promoting this issue. [finalexitnetwork.org]

I believe it is each individual’s choice. If I was terminally ill, I would want the choice to end my suffering. 😉

A novel question to post at this time for me, 2020 for me was similar to a bowl of f*** that's been left on the counter for 2 days at 90% humidity 80°. February 11th I found out I have cancer of the esophagus a couple weeks later after a PET scan I was told it was metastatic so I was stage four so I ended up quit working due to the chemo and of course the coronavirus thing.
With that being said tomorrow I leave to go see my daughter in Indiana I've started keytruda I am not in remission so who knows how much longer but I want to make the decision when it gets here other than that, never give up never surrender. 🙂
And I get to take my Bolt on a road trip. Yippee ki-yay. 😆

Hey guy, have all the fun you can while you're here! I hope you're able to navigate your departure in a way that is satisfying and as painless as possible. See ya on the other side...maybe?

I feel for you. Sorry it happened to you. I hope the best for you as long as you're here and may all your choices be respected and honored. You deserve peace, happiness and courtesy especially now and I hope you get it.

@AlbertSchepis Thank you

Respect!!😎

Only if the illness makes a decent life impossible. A person's life is his or hers alone, and he or she has the right to make the choice.

I 1000% think people should have the right to end their suffering...

I think it's nobody's business but mine under Any circumstances!
Telling others what do with their body, where oh where have i run across That before....?

Absolutely...I refuse to suffer...I have suffered enough...I want to go out stoned out of my.gourd listening to my song list...😘

A persons life and body belongs ONLY to them and Them ALONE despite what the Godsters would have us believe.
We have NO qualms about letting a pet we love die in peace and dignity so WHY are we being subjected to either dying slowly, painfully and without due dignity, etc?
Are WE not better than those pets we have loved and allowed to also die with due dignity, etc?

You should have power to legally end your own life if you are of sound mind. Many of the "cures" for incurable diseases are as bad as the disease itself. I recall my mother with pancreatic cancer.

My life, my choice — non-negotiable. And I feel no need to justify a decision based on the extreme circumstances you describe. Sure, I would try to be considerate of others affected by such a decision, but don’t feel anything is “owed.” Frankly, I’d prefer to check out when in decent health and strong enough to ensure the circumstances I want, such as being outdoors.

I think body autonomy is everything and you should be able to peaceably and painlessly take your own life without any disease factor. If you can show it's well thought out and not a quick impulse response then you should be able to go have that medically done.

Leelu Level 7 May 9, 2021

the right to end your own life should be absolute . easy availability of pain and anxiety freeing drugs to that end should be part of a social network of support and assistance. google PEGASUS for information on the swiss organization that provides a "suicide tourist" service. soup to nuts. but they still require a medical note from home

If there's no hope and great suffering yup

Really is personal choice. Or offer myself for experimental treatment to advance towards cure

Done that. 😉

If I was dying from cancer, I would end my life.

Same here.

I couldn't add anything that hasn't already been said. I agree (of course) that a person's life is his own. Doesn't even need a reason or anyone else's permission as far as I'm concerned. Just posing the question annoys me. Anyone who'd disagree would just be spouting religious rhetoric and dogma, which in itself is always offensive to me but on this would be to the extreme.

Yes, I have backup plans for such a situation. I call it self-deliverance. Remember that little book that was published by the Hemlock Society?

Hemlock Society is now known as Final Exit.

@JackPedigo Thanks, Jack.

When I started on dialysis, the intake worker asked me if I wanted to be resuscitated if I coded. I told her not at this time, however my youngest son has medical power of attorney. He knows exactly what I want and don't want if I became unable to care for myself, and I absolutely believe he will make decisions correctly.

I believe life is all about making choices. Sometimes for some people, death is a last choice they can make, it shouldn't be taken away from them.

My mother died of "Bird Fanciers Lung Disease". Basically bid dander gets into the lungs of a person who is allergic. The dander causes inflammation and slowly covers the lungs with scar tissue. The scar tissue builds up over time and makes it harder for the lungs to supply oxygen. It is a slow suffocation that takes place over several years. For my mom it was more than ten years where it got harder and harder to breathe until she finally died from a lack of oxygen. My mother's brother also died of it, but he also had emphysema and so he died in a matter of months.

So, I'd say yes a person who is suffering from a terminal disease should be allowed to choose to die. Because ti is terrible to watch a person suffer for th rest of their life klnowign there is nothing that can be done.

I have been warned of this as I have asthma. I just can't give up the parrot I inherited.

@Mooolah I think there is a genetic test to determine if you are at risk.

your body your choice. My mom stopped eating and drinking of even a sip of water. 3 days, horror inducing to watch a loved one die in slow motion. About a week b4 she did that she and I spoke. I told her "You do what is right for you. Do not let dad or a relative or a priest or a doctor tell you otherwise. I made a fresh loaf of Foccaccio di Umbria and brought a slice to her....she held it for 3 days smelling it for relief. That is suicide, the hard way.

Sadly it is possible that a marijuanna concoction hemp oil, might have saved her life. But Scumbag repugnicans and shit bag dems made that impossible. I will hate them till I die.I hope everyone of them develops cancer and all their children die right in front of them, from the same cancer that killed mom.

To say i am bitter is an understatement of biblical proportions. And they will legalize and turn it over to big biz. And see NYT today an article on using chemicals like LSD Shrooms, Cacti for PTSD etc.

Write Comment More
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:595343
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.