Agnostic.com

15 6

QUESTION Do you have a subconscious racial bias?

Do you have a hidden racial bias that you're unaware of?

The link I provided is a test meant to uncover whether people have a hidden preference for a certain race. Even people who don't think they have a racial bias- and who are not prejudiced- often come up as having a bias.

"Project Implicit is a non-profit organization and international collaboration between researchers who are interested in implicit social cognition - thoughts and feelings outside of conscious awareness and control. The goal of the organization is to educate the public about hidden biases and to provide a “virtual laboratory” for collecting data on the Internet."

There are other tests on Project Implicit to determine bias in areas like:

Weight, age, Muslim, gender, disability...

more tests here:
[implicit.harvard.edu]

silvereyes 8 Nov 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm very certain I have a conscious racial bias. You surely don't believe that it doesn't exist in everybody. Manifestations appear in maturity depending on perceptions. Why else do expressions like 'Life has taught me' exist?

I'm very certain I have a conscious racial bias. You surely don't believe that it doesn't exist in everybody. Manifestations appear in maturity depending on perceptions. Why else do expressions like 'Life has taught me exist?

Yep, I sure do. I won't be revealing them here though.

SamL Level 7 Dec 1, 2017

Everyone has biases. Helps us make quick judgements, which allows us to react swiftly. Evolutionary habit. Unless someone enjoys being a dick, it’s best to ignore any social bias that doesn’t keep you from harm. Treating people fairly is a constant choice one has to keep making.

Marz Level 7 Dec 1, 2017

Everyone is bias, especially when it comes to race. Suppose you're on the top of a hill, locking down. You see tow groups moving towards each other, with weapons in their hands. There's going to be a confrontation. You have no idea what the impending confrontation is about. One group is white, one group is black. Your are forced to choose one of the sides to join. If you're white which side would you choose? If your black which side would you choose. We're all automatically programmed to be bias when we're born, no escape.

Tomm Level 5 Nov 30, 2017

I hope this study controls for the difference between xenophobia and racism. The first is an evolutionary holdover, the second has to be constructed.

Oh boy you hit a part of me that is really conflicted. Sorry a little long story. I was once a member of a big singles club. One night some of us met in a restaurant. I had a pendant with my name in Arabic. A woman sitting across from me asked what it said and I told her. She said how do you know it doesn't spell smuck? I didn't and we proceeded to banter the whole night. She wanted to have a potluck but her apt. was too small and asked if we could have it at my house. She was fun and I liked her. At the house we made plans for the party and then she got into my bed! I was not prepared for this + I didn't know her. It happened a 2nd time with the same results. We continued to see each other and I even took her to my company's lavish holiday dinner. Afterward she showed up at the house and, again, in bed and again I said no. She ask "is it because I am Black?". I said no it was because she was way too aggressive (she also had a friend who sometimes took her to a sex club-that scared me). I did some inner searching and, to my dismay, she was right. We all have gender based sexual preferences but what about ethnic preferences? Anyone have a link to a study?
In the end she got even. She sent a postcard through the firms mail room. On the back she wrote: That's OK not everyone likes women, some prefer their own kind. I had to admit it was funny.

I keep getting this error when I click the link: "Your study has timed out. This could occur if you spend more than 15 minutes on one page of the study, such as the IAT. Please complete the study without interruption or the results will not be valid."

Regardless, I think I've taken this test or one like it a few times before. My results varied from having a moderate preference for European features to having a strong preference for African American features. I'm unsure these tests are especially valid. That being said, though, I think we all have some biases, even if it's just a general attraction for some particular features that tend to be prominent in specific ethnicities. I figure even if there's some subconscious prejudice, it doesn't really make much difference if we take the time to get to know people as individuals. I certainly don't like everyone I know, but I have friends from all backgrounds and all walks of life.

I do think prejudice and bias exist and a lot of people never consider that they might have blind spots in this regard, so in interviewing for a job or helping a stranger there might be some real consequences. I grew up poor (though had a roof over my head and food on the table, which counts for a lot), so I'm not especially biased against poor people and may, in fact, be more wary of people who have significant wealth — but I also have known poor people looking to take advantage or who conned people out of their savings, so I'm not a very trusting person overall. I also happened to grow up in Northern New York, which was very — hmm, what's a nice way of saying this? — ethnically homogenous. And yet in recent years, as there's more diversity, I don't find myself treating anyone differently based upon ethnic heritage. If I dislike someone, it's probably because I dislike most people and it isn't anything personal — or I've actually gotten to know them as a person and can't stand their personality. When I hate someone, I like for it to be fair and for a good reason. 😛

I would say that all people who grow up in the deep South have some subconscious racial bias. I have managed to purge most of it over the years, but a little probably remains in spite of my efforts.

It's not much the race as it is the person of color or culture. I don't care for certain denominations and I despise the preachers. I have issues with disrespect of my countries flag and anthem. I don't care for our president. He may impress me with his dominance over Korea's leader. That don't give him the right to abuse females. I despise people that park in handicap areas to park.

I got a list going . I'll stop here. It's out in the open for me. It's not hidden. Good question.

No I am conscious of all my racial biases.

Here is my result:
Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for European Americans over African Americans.

The problem is my late wife was from the Middle East.

@JackPedigo There is a test in there for Asian/Muslim and another for skin tones.

No automatic preference between African Americans and European Americans.

I'm not horribly prejudiced against other races. Perhaps I'm oversensitive to most of their plights. But I know I have prejudices against people that I perceive to be overweight, lazy, or generally unhealthy. I blame this on social conditioning but am not positive.

Interesting question. I'd say, in all honesty, that I don't.

1. My father is disabled, I'd be a morally reprehensible person if I judged people based on disability.

2. I've never been anything other than egalitarian regarding gender. As my father is disabled i.e can't move anything other than his head and neck, my mother raised me and both my siblings alone. Seeing her strength and resilience means that I could never view women as being lesser than men.

3. Here's the grey area. I cringe at overt displays of religiosity, including the hijab/other variants, and I quite often lose my respect for people if I find out they're strongly religious. On rare occasions, these people regain my respect, although I will always have it in the back of my mind that they have this one weakness.

4. I used to get frustrated when I talked to my now-deceased grandmother, who towards the end of her life had Alzheimer's. Other than that, age is largely irrelevant to me; unless we're talking about physical attraction. Naturally, I'll then prefer people still in their prime.

5. If I know that someone is fat merely because they eat too much and can't control themselves, I will have little to no respect for them. People with disorders such as diabetes are a different matter entirely.

6. Colour? Completely irrelevant, I've never discriminated based on race.

"Fat people who can't control themselves"- how about obese people who WON"T control themselves.

Heterophobes who will not keep it to theirselves- but must recruit the kids to their very sick avocation. And the law in Canada states you can be fined or imprisoned if you object.

Colour? What does colour have to do with anything? The people that I talk to and laugh with are of all colours- and I hope they are my friends------but as a child I had that retarded, Protestant upbringing to hate Catholics, Jews, blacks, whatever---- unbelievable!!!! Only thing I have to say to such characters is to get an education; get some semblance of reality.

Even if we weren't "born with it," it's everywhere in our culture, and whether we're aware or not, it's there someplace. It's sometimes so subtle we don't see it. Of course I grew up in a racist family, and despite my attempts to undo that damage, I still catch myself making sweeping generations that suggest I need to pay more attention.

In the book Blink, one of the issues author Malcolm Gladwell explores is/are bias' of all kinds which tend to show up instantaneously even before we're aware of them. For the most part we can override them before they get out, but it's intriguing what happens when we're not filtering ourselves.
[amazon.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5954
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.