Agnostic.com

11 20

Satanic temple against corporal punishment. While I don't have any desire to be involved with any religion, including the satanists, I appreciate how much more humane they are, especially when compared to evangelicals. When my oldest was in public school, I had to go to the school, request the paper work and sign that they could NOT spank my kid. My own memories of school spankings didn't just border on abuse, some were abuse.

[news.wgcu.org]

Beowulfsfriend 9 May 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Amazing how Christian the Satanist are and how twisted the evangelicals are

bobwjr Level 10 May 12, 2021

Well of course they're against corporal punishment in this life. That's so they can gain recruits.
Then, when Godddd sends you to Hellll, Satan will personally administer all the corporal punishment that you earned on Earth!

But think of this……..if Satan punishes the evildoers, wouldn’t that make him a good guy? LOL

@CuddyCruiser They had me at co-ed naked dancing around A fire lol

My Norwegian friend said (and I agree): Living in a country that has banned corporal punishment in the 70s, both at home and in schools, it is strange to see that this is even a topic in other western countries. In the UK also, if there is an incident where a teacher spanked a child, there will be outrage.

Ryo1 Level 8 May 12, 2021

In the Navy, a kid with whom I worked, spent his childhood in Sweden where corporal punishment had been outlawed. As embassy staff, his parents didn't have to follow the rules at home; but having Swedish grandparents, they did. He turned out fine with no corporal punishment.

When I was a boy in school they had corporal punishment where they used a cane. I lived in a small country town when I was eleven and got caned by a teacher. That night I secretly dressed, ran across town to where I knew the teacher lived and I put a brick through his window. Every time I was subject to corporal punishment as a child I got revenge, someway, somehow. I even said to my father one day, when I was about 7, someday I'll be big enough to hit you back. I paid the price for that comment, but that day came and I still remember that day, 55 years later, with satisfaction, horror and grief for the young man I became. This is my greatest argument against corporal punishment: children don't forget, they will get you back and even if they don't, you have irrevocably changed that child's identity and their idea of fairness and managing conflict. It took me 20 years more before I was able to let go of the violence I was trained into and before that day came, I deeply regret that I hurt a lot of people.

I am glad you could find some peace - I had my anger issues, mostly from childhood as well. It is difficult to overcome such things.

@Beowulfsfriend thank you. Your answer caused an unexpectedly powerful reaction in me. I didn't realise how much pain I still held over this. 🤗

Spanking is just as humane as a doctor doing life saving surgery. Surgery can take weeks for pain to go away and healing to complete. Medical malpractice can happen and spanking abuse can happen. Spankings shouldn't leave scars nor take long times for pain to go away. Spanking isn't abuse, but abuse can be done by spanking.

My 4 year old grandson knows how to play this counting game with my daughter. I tell my grandson don't go in street or I'll spank you. Then, he tested me, and I swatted him on butt. My daughter sits there and counts. I told you (don't or what ever)... 1, 2, 3, ... grand son keeping one doing what ever after being told by his mother several times. My mother tells him things many times before he would mind.

My grandson knows not to go in the street when I am around. Now, what's annoying to me is my mother threatens my grandson that I will spank him. That is where I don't have to spank him, If I agree with what my mother is trying to tell him I just repeat it and I have less problems with him.

It isn't often I spank him and it isn't a spanking for everthing, yet, I don't tolerate some of his child antics or misbehaving for long when things need to be serious.

Word Level 8 May 12, 2021

The argument here is not you, your family, or other families own actions. In some cases families can be abusive. The argument here is school sponsored spanking. I was a teacher; you don't know me; do you want me spanking your grandkids at my whim?

@Beowulfsfriend I did get a few spankings in school. I had one experience in junior high of 5 paddle swats with a bruise left. Sure, call it uncalled for and a little over board. In high school, I went to work for the teacher on their farm. My situation would not be something I would of sought to get the teacher fired assuming an isolated incident.

Where as, I have experienced being placed in general population with inmates and jailers telling the inmates to beat me up. This was after my criminal investigation of organized criminal activity of governmental officials. This form of vindictive or retaliation punishment is totally uncalled for.

We got spanked when I went to school. They had to use a paddle, they weren't allowed to put their hands on a kid. Philadelphia got rid of it in the 90s, the rest of the state 10-15 years later.

Southern Lancaster county used paddles as well. I knew the paddle well in sixth and seventh grade from the same teacher. I witnessed one kid in HS shop class get what can only be called child abuse. Yes, we were sophomores, but he had to bend over and the teacher put everything he had into hitting the kid, trying to make the kid cry.

Abusive, degrading, and often used when the person wasn't even guilty of what they were being accused of. It should never be allowed. I still remember clearly the day in first grade where one of the kids in my row was coloring on my shoe. I was sitting there trying to be a good girl as I was taught. And our teacher went down the row and gave each of us a smack with the paddle. I remember sitting there in tears for getting punished without reason. That memory has never left me.

Not defending corporal punishment. But. "often used when the person is not guilty," appies to all punishments, and always will. If you got that lesson from school then you learned something important, which many people never learn.

They're just being a pain in the ass for Christians, using the laws against them like they do to others. Pay back is a bitch.
Leveling the playing field.

They do good secular work. What’s life without irony 😂

Mvtt Level 7 May 11, 2021

I think they're brilliant. Really. Sorry for your traumas. My father was a barber and had a chair in our house. He hung a razor strap on it and we understood that he would use it if we got out of line. My older brother told us he wasn't kidding so I didn't experience it.

Strop.

@barjoe What a pathetic show that seems to have been yet Americans still think it was entertaining. Sad.

@rainmanjr The Sopranos was super popular Worldwide. I loved that show. I'm also very proud to be a American.

@barjoe Popularity does not = worth or even value. The trials of a Mafia Don is not something to laugh about. I would have thought we in u$a would at least have learned that by now.

@rainmanjr The Sopranos is one of the greatest TV shows ever, maybe THE greatest. You must really hate American culture with your u$a thing. Mob films are a popular genre. Godfather, Goodfellas, A Bronx Tale. Most people, not just Americans, like them as a form of entertainment. If you don't like that genre, that's okay. What is your favorite film?

@barjoe When Harry Met Sally. I openly express my scorn at u$a for being evil and you know that. I'd like to see it change, of course, but that isn't appearing likely. A whole lot would have to change, anyway, and humans aren't gonna be here that long.

@rainmanjr Humans will be here long after you and I are a distant memory. When Harry Met Sally is a good film, and I don't avoid chick flicks entirely. The US isn't any more evil than the rest of the planet. Less! "and you know that" Telling me what I know. Thank you for that.

@barjoe Sure. All signs point to our "Better angels" and success over climate change. LMFAO.

In spite of the number of years it was in practice, we know corporal punishment does not prevent bad behavior, and it traumatizes children.

And it teaches children that the way you get someone to do what you want them to do, it’s ok to beat them into submission

@HelenRoseBuck Texas had abolished it and the state lawmakers voted it back in and reinstated paddling.

@nicestuff I loved this article. Thanks for sharing!

Write Comment More
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:595926
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.