Agnostic.com

30 9

Has anyone tried a home DNA kit?

Did you find out anything interesting? I found out 6 to 8 grandparents ago one of my grandparents was 100% west African. Estimated to have been born around 1710-1800. It hit me shortly after reading the results that they must have been a slave. My father's family is darkish olive skinned and the family story was that in the 1700's one of my ancestors married a native American. Problem is there was no native American DNA in my profile. I'm guessing the story was started to cover up a bi-racial baby? Anyone have any good stories they uncovered?

BrightTyger979 6 Apr 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm wondering just how accurate they are.?

I have my mother's side traced back pretty accurately so I knew if my research was correct that I should be 25% Dutch. My DNA profile listed me at 24.4 % Dutch. Also it matched me based on DNA to people in their database as being related and the whole first page of relatives were cousins that were indeed actual first and second cousins.

Haven't and won't. Not terribly interested in any of that stuff.

My mom did the test for kicks and giggles. Viking German French.

I've not tried it yet, but I have Native American Indian from both my parents, plus my dad's family line is from Spain, so I'm a right mix.

To update my previous post, I just sent in my Ancestry sample in hopes of meeting more relatives since it is more popular with people interested in geneaology

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:59601
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.