Agnostic.com

4 5

LINK April jobs report surprise: Is this a labor shortage or a great reassessment of work in America? - The Washington Post

Hiring was much weaker than expected in April. Wall Street thinks it’s a blip, but there could be much deeper rethinking of what jobs are needed and what workers want to do on a daily basis.

From Wall Street to the White House, expectations were high for a hiring surge in April with potentially a million Americans returning to work. Instead, the world learned Friday that just 266,000 jobs were added, a massive disappointment that raises questions about whether the recovery is on track.

President Biden’s team has vowed that its massive stimulus package will recover all the remaining jobs lost during the pandemic in about a year, but that promise won’t be kept unless there’s a big pickup in hiring soon. There are still 8.2 million jobs left to recover. At the same time, business leaders and Republicans are complaining that there is a “worker shortage,” and they largely blame the more generous unemployment payments and stimulus checks for making people less likely to take low-paying fast food and retail jobs again. Democratic economists counter that companies could raise pay if they really wanted workers back quickly.

One way to make sense of this weak jobs report is to do what Wall Street did and shrug it off as an anomaly. Stocks still rose Friday as investors saw this as a blip. They think there is just a lag in hiring and more people will return to work as they get vaccinated. And they point out oddball months have occurred before, especially with some weird quirks in the Labor Department’s seasonal adjustments.

HippieChick58 9 May 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Any one who really thinks the unemployment rate is below 10% has no hook on reality. They changed how they count again to show everyone has a job.

I agree and getting a job is harder than it was when I worked
I could go out and find 3 jobs same day none of the resume and wait three weeks for an interview and them more for a second
whe I look for work I need a job now not in a month

I think a lot of people have reassessed how much they actually need to spend to live, and how much they can make doing something less onerous than they previously thought. This could be a good things..less consumerism is good for the planet, wages will be driven up to attract workers.

People are refusing to work for minimum wage. Especially in the service industries..

I think Heather Cox Richardson commented on the jobs report. We have become a service oriented job market. Those are low paying jobs and the employees have to deal with nasty people and sometimes bosses. I think many are rethinking if they really want to return to those jobs.
I see the right posted something about how much prices have risen in the last 4 months. Prices were on the rise within weeks of the pandemic hitting and demand continues to out strip supply. The reason demand is up is due to the success of the vaccine roll out. People are not hunkered down.
No need to go on a rant people on this site get it.

One of the reasons prices are going up so fast is that the worth of the dollar over the past five years has dropped about 5% a year. I heard this some time ago and so the numbers might not be correct now. I will check tomorrow after I get some work done.

@dalefvictor I think at this point it will not matter to the 74 million who voted for trump , it WILL be Biden's fault.

@silverotter11 We all know trump can do nothing wrong. Apparently if the news I heard this morning is true, he cannot because he threatens anyone who knows better. What a slime ball.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:596103
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.