Agnostic.com

4 12

I think it is past time to call employers out on this, as well as all the contractors that pass employment taxes on to the employees

glennlab 10 May 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes!

Any business which cannot pay decent wages and stay in business does not deserve to exist.

As a landlord who didn’t plan to be one (I’m helping my 83-year-old father rent his home while he’s in assisted living), I have seen both sides of this issue play out. My father’s tenant hasn’t paid rent in months, taking advantage of the moratorium on evictions here in California.

Meanwhile the tenant has used their stimulus checks and unemployment to buy things like new furniture and a big screen TV! And do you think the bank who has the mortgage on this property gives a damn about our situation? We have dipped into savings just to cover the mortgage for the past 8 months and our savings is almost gone.

While I sympathize with your situation, and have been there before, it does not address employers or wages, it has to do with the eviction ban. The ban does not forgive the rent due, it merely postpones it's collection. I realize that there is probably not a chance in hell of getting the back rent. There should have been a rent subsidy passed along with the eviction moritorium.

@p-nullifidian These deadbeat liberals will never agree with you because they are the ones not paying the rent and misusing the money .The Democrats in charge do not give a shit about you or your problems

@richiegtt YOU got that right

@p-nullifidian I agree .There are plenty of landlords who have gone into foreclosure.

@glennlab As the old saying goes, 'shoulda, coulda, woulda.' When stimulus checks are sent to renters who know they can effectively squat in a property without consequences, it's inevitable that some will take advantage of this circumstance. All of this began during the previous administration, and continues during the present one.

Housing, whether in rent or a mortgage, is always the single largest and most easily identified expense, and if the government were to truly have been of assistance it would have set up a system that channeled rent and mortgage payments directly to landlords and / or lenders, rather than throwing money at renters without any accountability.

Because of the fact that lenders and financial institutions are allowed to conduct business as usual (i.e., reporting late or missed payments to credit bureaus and, worst of all, foreclosure), my father and I have our nuts in a vice. Our reserves include money that was to go for his future care needs. We'll never get our savings back because property owners like my father and I (and there are a vast number of mom and pop landlords like us) have been left without a chair when the music stopped playing!

@glennlab absolutely....paid directly to landlords not tennants

@whiskywoman If landlords challenged the law on constitutional grounds, there is a chance that it could be found to be an illegal taking leaving the federal gov't on the hook. Lot's of legal wrangling to get there, but it is possible @p-nullifidian.

Pick up cans for the deposit money, easily bridge any gap...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:599613
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.