Agnostic.com

16 13

Recently I have seen some discussions on this site claiming that it is human nature to always want more or to think one’s culture/religion/nationality are superior to everyone else’s (not insignificantly, occurring within the context of discussing the Israeli/Palestinian conflict). But is it really human nature? I’d like to challenge that claim.

Exhibit A: the Babemba tribe of Zambia and the Congo. [mmstudies.com]

The Bemba — an “ethnolinguistic cluster of matrilineal-matrifocal agriculturalists” who are described as “peaceful and egalitarian” — get along with each other and don’t fight with neighboring tribes.

Exhibit B: the Inuit of the Arctic, living in Canada, Alaska, Greenland, and Russia. [npr.org]

“Traditional Inuit parenting is incredibly nurturing and tender. If you took all the parenting styles around the world and ranked them by their gentleness, the Inuit approach would likely rank near the top … Modern hunter-gatherer groups use stories to teach sharing, respect for both genders and conflict avoidance, a recent study reported, after analyzing 89 stories from nine different tribes in Southeast Asia and Africa. With the Agta, a hunter-gatherer population of the Philippines, good storytelling skills are prized more than hunting skills or medicinal knowledge, the study found.”

Exhibit C: various Native American tribes. [kosmosjournal.org]

Wetiko can describe both the infection and the body infected; a person can be infected by wetiko or, in cases where the infection is very advanced, they can personify the disease: ’a wetiko.’ This holds true for cultures and systems; all can be described as being wetiko if they routinely manifest these traits … Native American scholar and historian Jack D. Forbes describes how there was a commonly-held belief among many Indigenous communities that the European colonialists were so chronically and uniformly infected with wetiko that it must be a defining characteristic of the culture from which they came. Examining the history of these cultures, Forbes laments, ‘Tragically, the history of the world for the past 2,000 years is, in great part, the story of the epidemiology of the wetiko disease.’”

Various psychological studies show much stupidity and selfishness in human behavior, but is it really ingrained in our being, or are we conditioned to behave that way, when brought up in a particular milieu? Is it really human nature to behave the way we do (or more accurately, the way our leaders do), or just a widespread form of insanity by people who have become too powerful?

altschmerz 9 May 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm commenting here on this topic as I am not a member in the group you had posted that in, about the confirmation biases. Did on a post on that myself about a year and a half ago on here, and while some commentary was constructive plenty of other comments were far from it. The group attribution bias is particularly insidious, can't help but think all these identity movements only serve to help further the divide. I'm to a point where I don't feel like identifying with any labels, what I've observed over the years is truly disturbing. Peculiar times we live in.

@altschmerz Truth be told Alts I've long considered myself liberal and open-minded, it's just that over the years the political spectrum has changed with each side moving more towards their respective sides and in the process people like me are left somewhere in between the two. These days it would appear someone like me is now just right of center instead of just left of center like I used to be, based on said changes over the years. Intellectual laziness from both extremes.

Thanks. I haven't previously encountered this but anti Wetiko sounds very much like my main philosophy the last 30+ years.

I often think about patriotism, which is kinda the same thing. Whenever I consider it rationally it seems both a force of division and unification. I think it's primarily rooted in hierarchical societies as there must be a way that the subordinate classes identify with the very structure that subordinates them. Otherwise they may realize their exploitation directly and join with other subordinate classes across nationalities. It's basically taught from the youngest age until it becomes an intrinsic part of identity, so much so that other nationalities become "otherized". It functions as a way to keep the lower classes divided while also giving them a source of pride and belonging. And it's also a means toward "a sensation of eternity" (from a Sonic Youth song - "America it is called- a sensation of eternity" ).

I think that the greater majority of people are kind and compassionate, however the psychopaths and narcissist do take control and bully others to submit by threats and sometimes violence.

And individualistic, competitive systems create more narcissists and psychopaths.

I do not think our natural state is to sequester ourselves in these huge societies like hive minded insects. I think that alone is the base source for many of our 'societal ills' including those caused my mental distress.
Yes, we are adaptable. So are lots of animals. That's what evolution is.
Throughout the ages we see examples of those who think the way forward is to gather everyone under one banner and be "united". But that is always achieved through violence. And it always benefits one particular group over all others, ie conqueror/conquered.
We just can't seem to stop being assholes to each other because different means wrong. Might makes right.
You see great civilizations come and go....
The diversity I see with enlightened sorts wanting to explore and acknowledge and accept versus those with tribal tendencies to sequester and be intensely suspicious of anything different has been polarized with recent events and it's both depressing and fascinating to observe.
This was a great subject to bring up.

There is little doubt that human nature can be hugely subverted and manipulated by human culture, and the fact that there are so many different cultures, which produce so many differing attitudes to so many different aspects of life, proves that, without any further evidence. That of course does not mean that human nature is unimportant, only that it is flexible, which to a degree is what you would expect, a nature which was inflexible would not serve the purposes of survival very well.

One aspect which people have noted before, is that the level of human on human aggression, may depend inversely on the degree of threat from the physical environment. Where the environment is extreme, ( food widely scattered, and its supplies unpredictable, high danger from cold etc. ) such as that of your Inuit example, while the human population is thin meaning that the threat from strangers is rare. It repays people and their culture to show a high level cooperation. While in situations where there is a good food supply, high population and only a few avoidable threats from the environment, the threats from humans may well assume a greater relative proportion. (Including disease of course, a threat greatly lessened by hostility to strangers.)

And that of course, is the state brought about by civilization. Especially in environments rich in resources, such as the Fertile Crescent, the Indus Valley the Yellow River etc. While the threats from humans will become even greater as technological advances, including the technology of government, and increasing material inequalities and weapons inequalities both within cultures and between different cultures.

And it is certainly observable that organized warfare, and genocide are at least only possible for advanced civilizations.

Human nature is adaptable, yes. And human culture is a very powerful agent for changing it.

I am not sure if their styles of parenting are more superior or not. If so, why were they never able to produce offspring that made significant impacts on the world stage? Overly nurturing parents can make a child soft and dependent. Also, seems like that this is a perpetuation of the noble savage myth. Certain peoples are hard-wired in different ways

Success may be measured in various ways. Not raising kids to become narcissistic, Type-A adults that become CEOs seems wonderful to me. Being "soft" and kind doesn't make one unsuccessful. Nurturing children makes them self confident if done right, lack of nurturing can have the effect of diminished self esteem.

@altschmerz their lands were conquered though. Virtually the same story for the First Nations.

, @MizJ what’s wrong your child being driven to succeed? Also, people living on tribal lands are dependent on the US government for their way of life and have huge problems with alcoholism and crime on the reservations. There are advantages and disadvantages to both sides but this noble savage stuff is not helpful, neither

@Heavykevy1985 There is nothing wrong with success. My point was that different cultures define success in different ways. All those definitions of success are valid; American/Western/European ideals are not superior.

@MizJ I would say so. Their countries are the ones most desirous for immigration. Not too many people are beating a path to live in the Philippines or Africa.

@Heavykevy1985 That sounds rather ethnocentric. Have you been to either of those places? The country borders in Africa were largely drawn by Europeans after they plundered the continent for its resources. History is mostly taught by the victors and whitewashed. There is much beauty in indigenous cultures, to see that beauty one must open the mind and not rely on what is written by those victors.

"There is good and there is evil" ~ Seymour Freely.

People's nature can be good and/or evil. It can be a conflation of good and evil. Such for example, a cultural norm, an arbitrary rule or law of government can be an oxymoron: the good evil or an evil good.

Consider Masonic lodge secret religion racist devil worshipper governmental terrorist Benjamin Franklin's essay called "Remarks concerning the savages of North America ".

Selected portion copied below: entire essay link. [wampumchronicles.com]

Savages we call them, because their Manners differ from ours, which we think the Perfection of Civility. They think the same of theirs.

Perhaps if we could examine the Manners of different Nations with Impartiality, we should find no People so rude as to be without Rules of Politeness, nor any so polite as not to have some Remains of Rudeness

The Indian Men when young are Hunters and Warriors; when old, Counsellors; for all their Government is by Counsel of the Sages; there is no Force there are no Prisons, no Officers to compel Obedience, or inflict Punishment.—Hence they generally study Oratory; the best Speaker having the most Influence. The Indian Women till the Ground, dress the Food, nurse and bring up the Children, & preserve & hand down to Posterity the Memory of public Transactions. These Employments of Men and Women are accounted natural & honorable, Having few artificial Wants, they have abundance of Leisure for Improvement by Conversation.

Word Level 8 May 29, 2021

Sounds like the cry for the acceptance of laziness with zero drive for improvement. Every nation on earth was created by overtaking who was already there. In many cases; several times back and forth.

Good citations and examples! Thank you!

We have been brainwashed to think that the problems we face derive from an immutable human nature.

Human nature will change to adapt to the system in which it is placed.

This is why we must replace capitalism with a system that appeals to those aspects of human nature less destructive to each other and to the world.

Capitalism is not the root of all evil.

@Alienbeing

Never said that. And some aspects of it should be preserved, such as initiative and incentives.

But it is the root of environmental destruction that we face now. And the root of gross inequality that the world currently faces.

@Krish55 No you didn't say exactly that, but close.

Capitalism is not the root of inequality, lack of education causes inequality.

@Alienbeing

Education is one of the factors within a comparable social group, such as the working class. Such as blacks/poor whites in the same poor neighborhood. But between classes, the cause is class exploitation. This is the major cause.

Your explanation isn't incorrect, but it is severely limited. It's quite obvious that's one's class greatly affects one's access to education. Moreover, the conditions of poverty create psychological problems, especially in the urban underclass, that demoralizes them when they do have access to public K-12 education.

@Alienbeing

Moreover, the emergence of class society (prior to capitalism) is what caused the first social inequality. This is a historical fact that scholars who have studied the change to settled agriculture have concluded.

Capitalism didn't start the problem of inequality but it greatly accelerated that process.

@Krish55 It is only somewhat true that one's "class" affects access to education. I have met countless people who came from rather poor famlies who went college and secured a degree. Rather than class, I'd substitute family support as that causes respect for education.

I don't know how you define "class exploitation" however I suspect your definition is not objective.

@Krish55 "Class" in modern times is merely the result of success, or lack thereof, or lack of desire to achieve.

I remember that discussion. It involved me and someone smilingly making excuses for privilege and oppression.

The latter was a liberal posing as an anti-Zionist progressive but posting sources from Zionist sites and making Zionist arguments.

Her clueless explanation for the Israel-Palestine conflict was " People always wanting more."

She was either smilingly providing cover for Israel or Intellectually lazy, as Sticks below might say.

Some people from the oppressor group will always deflect blame to general human nature instead of looking at systemic faults that privilege them at the expense of others.

Human nature can't be changed, but systems can be changed. So those who benefit from an oppressive system and don't want to change it will therefore shift the blame to human nature.

Even among liberals, some have a hard time indicting Capitalism, White Racism and Jewish Racism (Israel). So they instead gnash their teeth, wail, and wring their hands about "human nature."

That's a great way to keep your privilege going and deter people from doing anything about it!

@altschmerz

Being intellectually lazy serves a purpose. It enables one to avoid ethical choices

Studies of very young children (toddlers) show them exhibiting helpfulness, which implies empathy

Not human nature to be stupid and selfishly depraved.
Stupidity and moral depravity are culturally conditioned insanity.

There are the stupid. They were born that way and "you can't fix stupid". Then there are the intellectually lazy. They could and should know better. The greedy for money, power, or both know how to manipulate the stupid and have done this for all recorded history. I don't guess this will ever change.

Absolutely right about it being intellectually lazy.

I don't know, could be it's the me/you part of human nature, but more likely it's the us/them part

No . Not the human nature . Manipulation . Fear . Clever clo clo / stupidity at the very end 🤢

Especially fear these days.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:599724
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.