Agnostic.com

18 1

Atheism and socialization

Have you ever felt like a pariah for having atheist views? Especially meeting new people.

NikPattillo 2 Apr 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, not at all. Nearly everyone I know is Christian, and they all know I am atheist/pagan, and we are all cool with all of it.

No - I don't think about other peoples views much as I am on my own program and they are on theirs if people talk about god to me I listen for them to understand them as far as I am able. So I don't think my atheism is any big shock to them - Someoen once did say oh that is an awful shame when I said I didnt have a god - and I rather thought it was sweetly naiive.

No. I just think people who believe in supernatural stories from the Bronze Age are a bit strange. Should it come up I tell them. Let the cards fall when they may. Interestingly, I always keep and eye out for people I meet who say they are nonreligious. I'm always very genuinely friendly and welcoming to such people to let them know we're brother and sister nonbelievers. Also I don't find in the real world nonbelievers are so fussed about whether they are agnostic or atheist or whatever. It seems to be a recurring tribal thing here in this community. It's the only disappointment I have about this community. Not a big one, but one nevertheless.

No, if people are unaccepting it's their loss and they're probably not very bright anyway.

No I’m straight up with my views unless I’m at work. Then I avoid politics and religion when talking to customers.

In my small town absoulutely but now that I'm a senior in college going for biology I have a hard time finding anyone that still believes in fairy tales with talking snakes.

Who wants to socialize with believers....? pleeeeeeeeeeease

Not in the least.

No, l don't wear a sign!

No. I fight my corner in that respect.

I have been an outcast pretty much my whole life for my views on so called "gods", and various other alternative attributes.

Mever. I have always been and will always be proud of my choice of atheism.

(googles pariah)
Sometimes

Nope. When peopel "hun" me for my atheist views, I see it as if their doing me a favor, so i dotn' have to listen to their religious views.

No because I associate with people with other common interests when I do. I don't start a connection with something I think is such a personal belief.I havent been accosted as much as others with people trying to convert to challenge me but if that were to occur I would not want to associate with people like that

Not a pariah per se. But an outsider certainly. People are always very nice regardless of their beliefs but as soon as they realize I have differeinf religious views an invisible wall is thrown up. They’re still friendly, but I’ve been relegated to a different social class, that of unbeliever. Living and working in a small rural community doesn’t help either.

Eray Level 3 Apr 17, 2018

No.

Coldo Level 8 Apr 17, 2018

Nope, they are the ones that feel peeved. it pisses them esoecually if they are religious.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:59982
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.