Agnostic.com

7 9

In thoughts on Memorial Day

My ancestors fought in every war since they emigrated to the Colonies in the 1730s. They fought in the Revolutionary War, on both sides of the Civil War, and in WW I and II. While I deplore war and in my lifetime, have seen wars that never should have happened, I have respect for the women and men who have served.

I have never been to war, so I can only imagine what it is like. However, Wilfred Owen, who was killed in battle just before the WW I Armistice knew what war was like and gives us a glimpse.

"Dulce et Decorum Est"

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs,
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots,
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of gas-shells dropping softly behind.

Gas! GAS! Quick, boys!—An ecstasy of fumbling
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time,
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound’ring like a man in fire or lime.—
Dim through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams, you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil’s sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,—
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

Gwendolyn2018 9 May 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Maybe if more were to watch "Johnny Got His Gun" based on a book by once black listed author Dalton Trumbo and starring Timothy Bottoms we would not get such war mongering politicians elected to serve us.

Not just the politicians, it is also the businessmen that control them.... Capitalism makes Profit of War in a daily basis so....

@GipsyOfNewSpain Far too many Americans think the billionaires are better educated and suited to run things. Huge eye rolled here. JUST LOOK around, the homeless (a large number of them are veterans), the student debt, the unhealthy number of Americans, the list goes on. There was a shining moment when the New Deal was introduced and WWII pulled the U.S. out of the depression and the conversion to manufactured goods put America on the gravy train - for some but not all. There were moments when we could have solved the systemic racism but no president wanted to really deal with. But we elected politians that were hell bent on undoing the New Deal. It really is sad.

@silverotter11 Imagine if after giving Freedom to Slaves, the Government would had Schooled them, Prepared them and make sure they were Integrated into the american society the right way. IMAGINE WHAT COUNTRY WE WOULD BE TODAY.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Lincoln was trying to do that with Reconstruction but sadly he was shot and the VP killed Reconstruction and placed many of the men who started the Civil War back in power.

I'm ex military but thankfully never in a war. Even so, being in the military can teach you a lot.

20 year Vet.... No Experience Like It!!!!!

Sweet it is NOT to die for a ruling class.

We could suppress the power-mad among us. We might even cure them. But we need the resolve to start. it's a good deal worse that the Aegean Stables...

War is Never Pretty regardless what side you are in.

Well typed sir.

Thank you. Fortunately, I have never seen war, but I have known people that have. It hurt me just listening to the stories.

War is horrible my family fought in every one since the civil war

bobwjr Level 10 May 31, 2021

@Gwendolyn2018 I attended a few of those funerals while on active duty

@Gwendolyn2018 Sad lesson with much grief and suffering from the families

@Gwendolyn2018 Those who suffered War, in any age, in any piece of land, for any reason, in any Century.... could had tell you how Horrible War was. There always been stories of those witnesses that survived the Horror and those that suffered the Horror.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:600290
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.