Agnostic.com

13 8

Is it useful to teach children that Santa Claus exists?

Some might argue that the childhood belief in Santa Claus can be beneficial. The belief in Santa can serve as a vaccine to protect children from believing other (more harmful) false ideas.

Parents can experiment with the Santa belief by asking the child:

1. How did you learn about Santa for the first time?
  2. Where did Santa come from?
  3. Has Santa always existed?
  4. What is Santa's goal in life?
  5. Does Santa have any other goal in life?
  6. Where does Santa live?
  7. Can you visit Santa?
  8. How old is Santa?
  9. Can Santa grow older or is he always stuck at being X years old?
  10. What powers do you think Santa has?
  11. How does Santa know if you were good or bad?
  12. Does Santa have any helpers?
  13. Why would Santa need helpers?
  14. How does Santa travel all over the world?
  15. How does Santa take all the presents with him (on his sleigh)?
  16. Is there only one Santa or are there multiple Santa's?
  17. Have you ever seen (the real) Santa?
  18. How do you think Santa is able to deliver all the presents for children across the globe in one night?
  19. How do you think Santa can deliver the presents without being seen?
  20. Do you think there might be another explanation for children all over the world receiving their Christmas presents in one night, other than Santa delivering them?

The belief in Santa can teach the following:

• Appeal to popularity (fallacy): You should not automatically believe something just because it's popular. If your whole class believes it, it doesn't mean that you should believe it too. You need to have good reasons for your belief
  • Appeal to authority (fallacy): You should not automatically believe anything because an authority figure (your parents or teachers) believe it, that person might be wrong about it. If your parents or teachers believe Santa exists, it doesn't automatically mean that he actually exists. You need to research this yourself, you can start by asking (good) questions
  • One of the reason parents and teachers don't want children to be (too) critical thinkers is because the children can undermine the credibility of their elders. A child who questions everything can be seen as a big hassle to deal with (for the parents and the teachers), they might prefer obedient children that don't ask too many difficult questions. Children should be wary of people (authority figures) that care more about obedience than discovering the truth
  • Burden of proof: If someone makes a claim, they have the burden to provide the evidence for that claim. If someone can't prove to you that Santa does exist then you don't have to believe them
  • Try to find other explanations for the things you believe. Your reasons for believing may be incorrect
  • Keep asking (good) questions, especially for things you don't understand

Can the belief in Santa Claus increase skepticism or critical thinking in children?

If yes, how does it improve skepticism or critical thinking?
If not, why does it not improve skepticism or critical thinking?

Momen 5 May 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is handy for about 8 or 9 years to keep them from going BATSHIT crazy for at least 3 to 6 months out of the year...😂

Santa is a fun thing to do with kids while they are still a bit naive. I don’t see it as a primer for disbelief, but if it has that effect then fine. Your parenting in general should prepare them to think for themselves whether they decide to believe in a god or not.

Sure, just include the other tidbits, while you're at it. Like St. Nick being the patron saint of thieves and prostitutes.
And you may as well tell them about Candyman and Krampus, too.

They would outgrew the Concept.... another Kid will spill the beans.... I was taken to pick my toys so.... Santa had to compete with The 3 Kings. It was a Fantasy from Day One to Me.

I laugh because the only answer is a resounding "NO." I've argued the point for 40 years, though, so it's obviously your turn. Best of luck.

I always extorted good behavior from my kids with Santa.

Idk who angry reacted, but get over it. Sometimes, as a parent, you have to go with what works. My kids are not scarred from it, because when they were old enough to question it, we explained to them about the spirit of giving and kindness and that Santa represents that.

Sorry, TL;DR. But to answer your lead question: I don’t know if it’s useful for kids to believe in Santa, but it sure is fun.

I find it hilarious that someone reacted to my comment with an “angry” face. Sorry I enjoy something you don’t! 😂
🎅🏼🎄🎁

Four stages of life:

1. You believe in Santa Claus
  2. You don't believe in Santa Claus
  3. You are Santa Claus
  4. You look like Santa Claus

I have reached stage four.

As the post puts forward, if your #2 is correct then why would you, a lover of human spirit free of mythology, want to look like the figure?

@rainmanjr Good one! What makes you think that is my desire? I'm simply stating an observation.

@PBuck0145 I'm simply making the point for a wider audience. One that hopes this figure will one year go away.

@rainmanjr Despite the insistence that humans have free will it's science that we have no "will power" control over our biology, especially in fat distribution and hair loss patterns or eye color. This fact is why we have cosmetics and wigs and girdles, and for those suffering mild delusion we have gyms which help us become stronger, and if balanced with diet less fat, but that is at best a collaboration with your biology and displays none of the attributes of actual control.

Does a belief in Santa’s gifts produce better behavior during the weeks before Xmas?

Does worse behavior follow when children stop believing?

I would argue the answer of behavior afterward to be yes. Kids generally told the big truth around age 12. Trouble with identity adjustments begin around puberty. That might be some/mostly/all due to hormones but I'd bet on some being the lie. How can their parents be trusted? Seems to me that S.C. believing nations have bigger problems with teen rebellions.

@rainmanjr I was looking out a window when I realized my parents had brought the presents and felt very sad. They hadn’t told me the trurh. I have no memory of the next xmases, but I hated having to pretend I was happy.

After finding out Santa Claus didn't exist, I assumed God was a big lie, too. Logical, right?

Not completely. If Santa does not exist what leads specifically to god not existing? Perhaps you grew up religious?

@indirect76 I did go to Sunday school because my sister went. We also sang in the choir, but that was more af a musical event for me than anything else. Our parents took us because my father's law partners went there, and it was a social thing. I was a very skeptical kid, and when I caught an adult lying, I generalized it to other things as well. I don't think I ever believed in God, at least not after age 5. It all sounded like a fairy tale to me.

If I get a gift too, why not?

believing in magic is a very important aspect for the jesus story to exist

Santa is like training wheels for tiny Christians, for some of us it was an inoculation against faith, for the rest its cognitive dissonance training.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:600334
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.