Agnostic.com

4 14

Dallas Hight School Valedictorian Scraps Approved Speech to Speak Out Against State's Extreme Anti-Choice Law

Bravo!

"I refuse to give up this platform to promote complacency and peace, when there is a war on my body and a war on my rights," said Paxton Smith.

"Starting in September, there will be a ban on abortions that take place after six weeks of pregnancy, regardless of whether the pregnancy was a result of rape or incest," Smith said, referring to Senate Bill 8, which Gov. Greg Abbott signed into law last month.

In addition to banning abortion care after six weeks of pregnancy, at which point many women don't yet know they're pregnant, the law allows any citizen to sue anyone who "aids or abets" a patient who has an abortion—including clinic employees, friends or family members who drive the patient to their appointment, or providers.

"I have dreams, hopes, and ambitions," said Smith. "Every girl here does. We have spent our whole lives working towards our futures, and without our consent or input, our control over our futures has been stripped away from us. I am terrified that if my contraceptives fail me, that if I'm raped, then my hopes and efforts and dreams for myself will no longer be relevant. I hope you can feel how gut-wrenching it is, how dehumanizing it is, to have the autonomy over your own body taken from you."

[commondreams.org]

LiterateHiker 9 June 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good for her for standing up. The way it’s written you can even be prosecuted relative to abortions out of state.

You just KNOW every evangelical that heard that speech was PISSED...😂😂😂

Good for her. More people need to make their feelings known to the politicians, preferably by hitting their sources of income. Boycott those who fund them.

I heard much of this woman's talk, on CNN or MSNBC. She spoke well.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:601150
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.