Agnostic.com

19 11

Marie Kondo is Wrong About Books

Marie Kondo says we should take a merciless axe to our bookshelves. "If you’ve already read it, you already have that information," she claims. "If you haven’t yet read it, you probably won’t, so get rid of it. If you really want it further down the road, you can always buy it again." Books give us much more than information.

Since a very young child, reading has been an escape and delight. Reading teaches us about different people, families, cultures and countries. Reading expands my awareness, makes me smarter and feeds my hungry mind.

How many teen girls do you know who read Shakespeare, Dickens, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy? For my fifteenth birthday, my parents gave me "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare." I was thrilled.

As a teen, I did what I called literature surveys. I read great Russian authors, followed by South American, Black, Native American, British, Irish and gay writers. And kept going.

"Prodigal Summer" by Barbara Kingsolver is one of my favorite books. I reread it every year. Jhumpa Lahiri is a beloved author. Lahiri won the Pulitzer Prize for "The Namesake" in 2000. My personal library gives me great joy.

During the pandemic when the library was closed, they still mailed books for free. Yay! Book reviews and awards give ideas of books to order from the library. Personal rule: don't add more bookshelves. When I buy a book, I donate one. One in/one out.

Your thoughts?

[baos.pub]

LiterateHiker 9 June 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well I have to admit that books are my heroin, I have many and I have many on Kindle and Audible and eBooks. Now all I have to do is learn to read.

I saved the books I wanted to reread or use for reference. Otherwise I also do one in, one out. Moving to a travel trailer 3 1/2 years did a lot to help me make important decisions on my library

Books are old friends to me. Some I pass along to others I know who share the passion of reading, some I refuse to part with. I do try to keep it reasonable. I move too much not to.

One and one out I believe that's a good plan. 😁

I agree with you and see that you are indeed a literate hiker.

@Alienbeing

Thank you.

@LiterateHiker No need to thank me. I wish I could get around to reading much more than I do. As such I admire people such as yourself.

Sounds like a capitalist approach, she should read Marx.

I collect rpg books. My grandfather bought me d&d box set in 1975 for my birthday.

@xenoview

What are rpg books? What is a d&d box set?

I tend to make use of libraries myself. It saves accumulating books and findign space for them all.

When I find books I really really like, then I'll buy a copy for th econvenience of later rereading it.

@snytiger6

Me, too.

I think that is one of the reasons that you write so well and simple, yet profound and deep. I do appreciate that al lot . Thank you !

@vegan

Thank you. What a lovely thing to say.

I gave up owning printed books when I started to move by myself. Previous moves we always had movers hired for us. When it is DIY, that is too much weight. I schleped loads of books to Half Price Books and sold them. Now most of my books are on Kindle if I keep them, or from the library.

I have about 800 books on my shelves. Most I've read, some I haven't or didn't finish, but only rarely do I part ways with any of my books. I've enjoyed reading almost since I could read and I like having books. I like the aesthetic of shelves filled with books. I plan to keep getting more books for as long as I have room for them.

In general I agree with her, strongly for me. But I was a minimalist since well before it became a pop-culture thing.

Having said that, if things-books or whatever-give you pleasure to keep, then they aren't clutter. So good for you.

So called guru's like that shouldn't make blanket statements, they are no all seeing oracles

bobwjr Level 10 June 18, 2021

I am keeping my vinyl records and books forever!

MizJ Level 8 June 18, 2021

You have to remember, that books are only as good as the people who wrote them. It is therefore much better to read a good book twice, than ten bad books once.

If you buy book that you can understand on first reading, then you are wasting your money.

I/we strongly agree. The only overtly stated rule we made when we got married was ' No one will ever be criticized for buying a book '.

And when my mother closed her craft/book store years later we inherited all her book display shelves. For a very long time our apartment looked much more like a library than a living space. (Voice of experience: That's only a good thing up to a point -- Ha, ha.🙂)

Now I have to admit we've become lazy. We've replaced most of the books we read for enjoyment with electronic Kindle editions and the only hardcopy books We've kept out for ourselves are as much keepsakes as they are for reading. Ha, ha, again.😎
My wife even likes to go to sleep with audio books. 128GB memory cards can be wonderful things.
And the Kindle lights up in the dark and weighs a lot less than umpteen volumes.

Books only age from abuse so there's no reason to 'take a merciless ax' to them. That sounds like the thinking of a city dweller with too limited space to me.😋

RichCC Level 8 June 18, 2021

You are spot on! I have books that I've read a half dozen times. Each time I find a bit that I missed before. Books... No, a wall of books is better than any painting masterpiece. There is a world waiting behind each spine.

@Holysocks

Thank you, dear.

Love how you wrote, "There is a world waiting behind each spine."

Kondo is a soulless hack who is wrong about a lot of things.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:604102
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.