Agnostic.com

9 11

Why don't people leash unsafe dogs?

Through online dating, an Idaho man has been trying to convince me to hike with him and his dog. Like many people, he sets his dog free while hiking. Today he was honest:

"Although my corgi sidekick Al has not attacked anyone in over four months, he can be dangerous if you look into his eyes."

Horrified, I replied:

"I want nothing to do with you and your dangerous dog. If you let your dog off-leash, you are putting other people and dogs at risk.

"Irresponsible dog owners like you are the reason I was attacked and injured by eight unleashed dogs while hiking over the past ten years."

LiterateHiker 9 June 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good choice to let this guy and his frequently aggressive dog swirl down the tubes. Eight attacks in ten years? That is ridiculous. Pack the nastiest protection you can legally carry.

@alliwant

Now I have pepper spray on a wristband.

Agreed. No pets for me, for various reasons, but that is one of them.

One of my mother's dogs was once attacked by another dog that should have been better restrained. Owners are sometimes very stupid and irresponsible about these matters.

It's amazing how selfish some people can be.

And then there is the issue of the dog offleash encountering something you really want to keep it away from. I hope his dog encounters a skunk one day... I won't hope it encounters something more dangerous. And if his dog has a history of attacking people, why is he letting it off leash at all. I likely wouldn't have kept the dog with that history.

Ammonia spray works wonders....

I hate to see unleashed dogs when I am out hiking. I was at the trailhead to Olympic hot springs a few months ago and a small dog ran up and tried to bit me. He only got my pants leg. I have never been injured by an unleashed dog.

So sorry sweety they should be controlled bear spray would help

bobwjr Level 10 June 18, 2021

Why would you not keep the dog under control for the dog's safety as much as other people's?
To let it run free in situations where other people and animals are involved is irresponsible.

RichCC Level 8 June 18, 2021
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:604107
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.