Agnostic.com

15 10

Has anyone heard something like, " Progressive Christians are going to hell"? Because I have a friend who is like that. Is it just me or should I just ignore the threat of hell.

Walkerman2020 4 June 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes..That's the funny thing about christians. Alot of their time is spent telling other christians they are going to hell. My moms family are nuts. They think if a woman has short hair she is going to hell. If She wears short pants she is going to hell. If you don't speak in tongues you are going to hell. Everyone is going to hell except people in their church.

Considering mst Christians son't actually follow or believe what Jesus supposedly taught, I don't think I'd worry about it.

It's just your selfish friend. These people like to think they are better than others even ones in the same stupid club as they. My late partner's two oldest children are both S. Baptists and both argue who is right. Her son dared make the comment that decent people like his mom, could go to heaven even though she was a lifelong atheist. That really ruffled some feathers but his sister could say nothing.

Sounds like your friend likes to judge people when his bible says not to. Just ignore the threat of hell. Ask him or her to show you where in the bible it says your going to hell.

Yes that is right. Even Jesus, if he said anything at all, only said put the weeds in the fire and burn them, as in once, not forever.

I was not raised religious. My dad studied the bible and thought I should at least read it once because it has a lot of good stories. He also knew I loved science fiction and made up characters like Sherlock Holmes. The reason he enjoyed reading the bible was he came from a very Catholic family and was slated as the youngest male to go into the priesthood. He was kicked out of catholic school and rejected the plan to become a priest. Instead he was atheist/humanist/agnostic.
That said, my friends do not get to threaten me with hell or anything else, cause friends just don't do that sorta shit.

Ignore them

bobwjr Level 10 June 19, 2021

I would give it as much worry as you do for every other religion's punishment system for not following them. Be safe, spend one second of every day as a member of every different religion, realize that you can't really do this as there are more sects than seconds, go be happy not giving a toss about ancient myths meant to control people who were too ignorant to realize fantasy from reality.

Why be afraid of something that is make believe?

Are you also afraid the giant is going to someday climb down from the beanstalk and stomp your village into the dirt?

Ask yourself, which hell. The hell of endless rebirth foreseen by Hindu and Buddhist believers, the hell of limited immortality of the classical world, the never mentioned hell of Judaism, the none existent hell of may hunter gatherer societies, or the hell Christians send you to, if you join one of a thousand wrong sects.

Consider this. The idea of a God, who sends people to eternal suffering for finite crimes, often quite trivial crimes, and crimes of which many of them could have no knowledge, or could not avoid. Is an idea which belittles God. Even a badly behaved three year old, could devise a better morality, and carry it out better than that. And if God does exist, then how can comparing him to an incompetent three year old be a good way to win its favour.

Said one - "Folks of a surly Master tell,
And daub his Visage with Smoke of Hell:
They talk of some sharp Trial of us -Pish !
He's a good Fellow, and "twill all be well

And if that seems a little flip, then sorry but it is a very silly subject.
You may like to watch this video however, it only a quarter hour, then put behind you the idea of at least a trivial silly evil God for life. Even if you do not abandon belief in god at least don't set up a trivial silly one.

Ignore the six comments below and instead, be very afraid.

there is no "hell" as we understand it in the bible; that comes from norse/angle scribes, who just had no better analogy, i guess? Anyway there is no punishment in Hades mythology, and Gehenna is right here on earth anyway!

I can't believe in a creator wafting around in the sky willing to do such a thing. I'm not a parent (thank BOB) But it would be like a father throwing his child onto the grill because they did something stupid. We all do stupid shit, but I'm not going to fling you onto my bonfire. I might chop a few bits off, but I want you to remember.

You must absolutely ignore it.
That person is really no friend.

I ignore everything about hell and it doesn't bother me a bit. I have no fear of gods nor of hell.

You can ignore the literal one, but watch out for that metaphorical one!

skado Level 9 June 18, 2021
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:604309
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.