Agnostic.com

46 2

What is your favorite paradox?

raisedintheusa 3 Apr 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

46 comments (26 - 46)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When Canada wanted to repatriate our constitution from the UK, we had to convince the British Parliament that we were not independent. They still retained the power to amend our constitution. Now we Canadians are a feisty bunch and no former imperial power is going to tell us we are independent when we know we're not! (Historic footnote, we managed to achieve full independence in April, 1982 - can't remember the exact date).

Actually these 3 sub-definitions for paradox appear paradoxal:
[merriam-webster.com]

a : a statement that is seemingly contradictory or opposed to common sense and yet is perhaps true
b : a self-contradictory statement that at first seems true
c : an argument that apparently derives self-contradictory conclusions by valid deduction from acceptable premises

I particularly like the Fermi paradox which also include the Great Filter.

When Ben Casey meets Kildare, that's called a pair of docs - Alan Sherman.

Paradox....two doctors conferring on a diagnosis.

Don't know if this qualifies as a paradox but it's my favorite , "why is there something instead of nothing".

Hitler paradox aka grandfather paradox.

Martins and Bones.

godef Level 7 Apr 18, 2018

Unfounded causality loops. They fascinate and infuriates me in equal measure when I find them in stories.

This statement is false.

The Crocodile Paradox

Keep the kid. See if I care. Ha.

Solution: Let there be some female verbal utterance...

Their is a Multi-Verse

Dr. Phil and Dr. Strange

I like the Cretan Barber, because it's simple enough that most bright children can "get" it - watching them think it over for a few moments is always fun. I like the Möbius band fpr the same reason: next time you have children around you, show it to them. Some of them think nothing of it; others look puzzled and are clearly thinking "hang on - that's weird..."

Jnei Level 8 Apr 18, 2018

More of a trio. 3 sisters who are all general practitioners have a doctor's office here in rural VA.
They are my favorite tripleDox.

Holiday and Kildare!

Sorry, not my favorite pardox, but one that I found interesting.. (of course it has to do with infinity issue/s ?) "The infinite hotel paradox"

paradox

Xyz situation caused a change in evolution.

Hempel’s Raven.

The veterinarian down the street and my internist.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:60435
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.