Agnostic.com

4 4

LINK Ten Thought Patterns That Trip Up Former Bible Believers

I saw a link to this today...

Valerie Tarico is a psychologist and writer in Seattle, Washington.
I very much enjoy reading her site.

RichCC 8 July 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

awesome article, ty

She left out the lack of ability for critical thinking.

I think that is the whole thing. That is why I think Christians etc. often seem so dishonest. In order to make it work, they have to fool themselves, and set a low standard of truth for themselves, and when you spend your whole life training yourself to be inwardly dishonest, and set low inward standards, it is only natural that that training should effect the way you approach and deal with everything else.

That is the real danger of religion, perhaps, the corrosive effect it has on the personality.

@Fernapple so, see how that works out? The hypocrites are outed, and the religious are the ones who get a bad rap, just like Jesus did to them, while the pagans and “atheists” are elevated, again ezackly like Jesus did

trust me, when you stop listening to believer bs, the Bible makes great sense; and it (via Paul) even tells you not to listen to religious ppls interpretation of it

1. All or nothing thinking.
  2. Good guys and bad guys.
  3. Never feeling good enough.
  4. Hyperactive guilt detection.
  5. Sexual hangups.
  6. Living for the future.
  7. Bracing for an apocalypse.
  8. Idealizing leaders.
  9. Desperately seeking simplicity.
  10. Intrusive what-ifs.

Insightful article, well worth the read. I had to deal with most of these myself, others were clearly demonstrated by others, like the unshakable faith that there's an enemy out there, covered appropriately by number two. Their love of Donald Trump clearly demonstrates number eight.

Excellent find RichCC. Well done.

A good summing up. Even in some parts of post Christian Europe, it is still possible to see to a very large extent, the toxic legacy at work.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:608855
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.