Agnostic.com

3 3

Are you aware of depersonalisation disorder? A disorder seemingly afflicting 2% of the population at any given time.

"as the legalisation of cannabis continues, the number of cases of weed-induced depersonalisation will inevitably continue to grow, increasing awareness still further."

"Depersonalisation as it relates to anxiety is a very different beast. It is unwanted, distressing and persistent. That sense of not having control is a key differentiator from a meditative state – you can’t choose for it to start or stop. Nonetheless, since depersonalisation is often accompanied by existential and philosophical thoughts, it is sometimes interpreted incorrectly as a spiritual or religious experience, or even an inverted form of enlightenment." & "Ascribing a spiritual aspect to it gives it an unjustified credence and weight, and leads only to a more intense focus on what should be a fleeting, automatic response." Perhaps explaining the ecstasy of indoctrination into new age religion frequently derogatorily called the Happy Slappy Brigade?

[psyche.co]

FrayedBear 9 July 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I feel that I have depersonalized myself. I do recall times of out of body travel a few years ago and today my lifestyle is one in which I only have myself to please. Yes, I get lonely but I like it that way.

Is that the same thing as rabies? I've been foaming at the mouth alot lately!

Do I laugh or commiserate?

are you afflicted with the one? blessed with the other? is zanax in your life? sounds like for now your foolin around with what might be the tip of your personal iceberg. its easy for one like me to carry his own meaning to "depersonalization" it would be good if you were to clarify and expand. from my cloistered perspective it would/might be a breath of very very fresh air. courageous maybe, god knows we don't get to see much of that here

Personally I don't know. I've only this day encountered the term.
My remark on the 2% affliction when compared to the numbers believing in religion is merely my first reaction to reading the of the 2%. Equally the religious believers can claim that agnostics & atheists are unquestionably psychotic sufferers of depersonalisation disorder.
I will never forget a supposed fellow professional ask on a PD course "are you a member of the human race?" The course convener, an industrial psychologist, didn't want to allow the question or me the opportunity to reply! I did anyway with "I think, I drink & eat, I breathe and I defecate just like you. Do you have a problem with that?" Shortly after the firm terminated my employment because I refused to move from the position that I had been appointed to to one buried in a third world Pacific island.

@FrayedBear .................. seems to me every time i talk with you i end up recomending a movie. TALK RADIO, 1988, ERIC BOGOSIAN AND ALEC BALDWIN, comes close to hitting what i think the depersonalization nail is, on the head. at the least its a great movie for other reasons. the human race in its present desperate straights could do worse than talking to each other solely thru refered movies. less vague and diffuse that way. anythings better than chat blurbs on agnostic............ ps...now its a psychotic disorder? psychotic planet? no matter, i have the cure. a good doin woman. good luck finding her. try not engaging with the humans.

@holdenc98 I have to confess that having watched the trailer I'm not sure if I can agree. I'll have to try for the complete film. Thanks for the heads up.
[traileraddict.com]

@FrayedBear .......trailer....schmailer. if you don't like it, i'll give you .........$7.00.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:610884
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.