Agnostic.com

10 23

Today's hike: Does practice overcome fear? Hope so.

"I can't believe we hiked seven and a half miles this morning!" Karen said when we got back to our cars. "We're both strong and in good shape," I replied.

Since I began hiking at 21, my nemesis has been walking across a slippery log high over lively rapids with sharp rocks below. Invariably I have a panic attack in the middle and freeze, afraid to take another step. Trembling and a little dizzy, I lose my balance. So, I slowly drop to hands and feet- with a heavy pack on my back- and crawl across like a baby bear.

Saying, "Don't look down" doesn't help. Of course I focus on the log. It's embarrassing. Other people just stride across.

I always get across. Never turned back. Sometimes find an easier place to splash across. So what if I get wet? My boots are waterproofed and have Velcro liners.

Walk the Plank

For five years, Karen has been pushing me to walk the length of this quarter-mile, uneven, raised wood plank trail for mountain bicycles. It curves through the woods. The planks are skinnier in places: four or five inches wide. "Why isn't this level?" I think. Usually I give up halfway and walk on the ground because it's too nerve-wracking.

Today I did it! Thinking about tightrope walkers, I carried my hiking poles level in front of me with palms up. Kept elbows loosely tucked at my sides. Walked with toes slightly pointed out. Focused on each step. Kept moving forward: momentum helps with balance.

This is one of multiple plank trails. With steep ramps, some are higher and much harder.

"This will help you walk across logs," Karen said. Hope she's right.

Photos:

1. Walk the plank curving through the woods.

2. Fallen Ponderosa pine needles look like bird nests. The blue paint means this tree will be logged. Due to massive wildfires, WA State has ordered thinning trees and removing downed wood in all state parks.

3. Why do snakes always cross the trail instead of following it?

4. An unburned hillside is a relief with wildfires across the West.

LiterateHiker 9 July 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Practice has helped me slow fear down but it's never completely overcome it. I think you're less fearful than me so it'll probably fix it for you eventually.

Lorajay

Thank you for your kind, insightful comment. I appreciate you.

I'm not sure it's about overcoming fear so much as learning to accept and endure it. Perhaps a bit like accepting the pain of childbirth, accept it and ride it out.

@Cyklone

It's hard to ride out trembling and dizziness with glittering rapids roaring below. I lose my balance. If I fell, I could be injured or killed.

Slowly crouching down and crawling across the slippery log - maneuvering around branches- is the safest option.

Panic attacks and labor pains are very different. Panic attacks are a reaction to a terrifying situation. Feels like I can't breathe.

Labor pains are expected. I was in a hospital bed, safe and sound.

@LiterateHiker I get that you can't take chances when you're in danger, but panic attacks are not a reaction to a terrifying situation but to your perception that it's a terrifying situation. There is a difference. It's about what you're thinking about the circumstances

They may only follow the trail if they think they can eat you. Need bigger snake to test this.

Great pictures and wonderful story of your day! 😘

@Redheadedgammy

Thank you, dear!

I hope it was a good feeling to be brave! We have a similar planked trail through the Alaka'i Swamp on Kauai, raised a bit higher and with swampy ground underneath. I'd rather walk on the planks than get stuck in the muck. Thankfully I don't mind walking on boards, feeling I have fairly good balance. -- What a lovely view you were treated to when looking up!

Good for you! We’re never too old to grow and learn

@BudFrank

Thank you!

Congratulations.

@Mitch07102

Thank you, Mitch!

I'm glad you did it and I do think that practice and method help to overcome fear.

Sounds like you had some fun on the bike trail.

Walk the plank to overcome fear?
I'll come over anything I want, fear is fair game.

tie that scalawag to the yardarm.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:611842
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.