Agnostic.com

6 4

LINK What is Janteloven? The Law of Jante in Scandinavian Society

"Janteloven’s social code... is an underlying Scandinavian philosophy principle that applies across Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Iceland. Understanding Janteloven is paramount to understanding both the history and modern-day cultures of these countries."

Question 1: Why does Jante either appeal to you or repel you?
Question 2: How does 'The Law of Jante' contrast with 'American Exceptionalism'?

AnonySchmoose 8 Aug 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Having lived in Sweden, this maybe the goal but like the U.S, they've yet to meet that goal.

Interesting... I'm impressed you've lived there. Yes... I agree the U.S. has not reached exceptionalism ( and at the current trend never will ). How is being a social democracy not meeting some goals? I know Jante seems harsh, but as another commenter said the rules seemed Taoist in a harsher way. For me, there are problems with the choice of phrasing. As they're stated, I feel the intention of some rules is a bit ambiguous or else defensive and paranoid.

@AnonySchmoose I feel that drive towards collectivism is deeper than Janteloven,which written in 1933. I think it's reaches to the very beginnings of Sandinavian culture, they Had to cooperate just to survive and nothing ensures group survival than collective sharing of work towards that goal..it's ingrained into the cultures..that's my thoughts on it..and yes the Janteloven is harsh..
Sweden destroyed their Aristocracy in the mid 19th century during the Farmers Strike..It brought the 1% to its knees..again it was a collective/collaborative endeavor..it was followed by stripping away land held by the Aristocracy and handed out to the farmers.

@Charlene
I enjoyed how articulately you described Swedish history.
In which way(s) do you think Sweden has not yet met their societal goals in the our modern era?
I surmised from Greta Thunberg's Fridays for Future protests that Sweden was either not activist enough in denouncing fossil fuel use globally, or else not focused enough on sustainable energy technology development.

@AnonySchmoose they have a deep xenophobic streak that has reared its ugly head recently. They also have a popular Nationalist party that gained seat in parliament. Much like MAGAts here, they gained power through open racism/bigotry toward Syrian refugees. Hell I was attack a few times because I was American...lol..

@AnonySchmoose The best example of how deep (Swedes in particular) use White Supremacy was their Allowing the Nazis to invade Norway from Finland during WWII, to save their skin and curry favor with Hiter. There is still resentment towards Swedes for doing so through out Scandinavia to this day.

@Charlene

1. I'm shocked... Maga-like bigots now popular in Sweden. The news has reported some bigotry, but I didn't know it was so prevalent as getting a government seat. Devastated to learn of that. I had thought Scandinavia was a bastion of reason.
  2. Yes... I watched a movie about the Nazis being helped by Swedes to invade Norway. Disloyal cowardice.

RULE 1 Do not to think you are anything special.

• I do not think I am special, I am special to some other people (that is their choice) I know, however, that I am unique, which can be seen as special.*

RULE 2 Do not to think you are as good as we are.

• Define good in this context*

RULE 3 Do not to think you are smarter than we are.
If by "smarter" you mean more intelligent, wise or knowledgeable, I will judge your "smarts" only by your actions and words. If you mean "smarter" in the sartorial sense, that is a subjective matter of personal taste.

RULE 4 Do not to imagine yourself better than we are.
Again define better, better in what sense?

RULE 5 Do not to think you know more than we do.

• I do not think so, I know so, in certain areas, in other matters you certainly know more than I. Knowledge is not simply judged on quantity.*

RULE 6 Do not to think you are more important than we are.
Important in which sense? Under what circumstance? A doctor is more important than a Plumber is when you need a heart bypass, but the opposite is true when you have a burst pipe

RULE 7 Do not to think you are good at anything.
Everyone is good at something, some are exceptional at one or more things, but everyone is also bad at other things too. False modesty is counterproductive.

RULE 8 Do not to laugh at us.
You would not say that if you are a clown or a professional comedian. If you mean do not mock us unduly say so. However if you profess stupid ideas or do stupid things and expect them to be taken seriously, you will be seen as laughable.

RULE 9 Do not to think anyone cares about you.
Again I do not think so, I know so. I also care about other people, including the idiot who wrote these rules. This also explains why Scandinavia has the highest suicide rates in the world.

RULE 10 Do not to think you can teach us anything.
No I don't think I can, because if you take this garbage seriously, you are very likely unreachable.

RULE 11 Perhaps you don't think "we" know a few things about you?

• I am sure that if you want to, you do! That would fit with the sort of creepy mentality that could write this sort of thing*

Rule 12 You're not to think there is a god.

In other words...
You're not to be narrow-minded
or entertain pre-conceived notions.

If I were ever able to leave this country, I'd go to Scandinavia.

Ditto. Their social structures are achieving excellent social democracies. They are doing so many things better than America, maybe not all, but some very important infrastructure, like education, healthcare, transportation, childcare, housing, jobs. Yes, I would go, if I could. I like Vancouver, BC too, but now there are such huge wildfires nearby, I don't know. Hawaii is suffering from global warming problems too.

@AnonySchmoose their criminal justice system is outstanding even.

@JonnaBononna
🤣🤣🤣 Yes, I remember the series Lilyhammer showed how their criminal justice works. Wow... I may have been happier if I had been raised by Norway's justice system until adulthood.

Those are actually weird.

Those rules are used mostly to keep power and money mongers from making themselves seem superior to others. They're to control that for the sake of a healthy society. I think it keeps the abusive type of capitalism in check as well. I read a little about it and I know someone who lived in Sweden, so I've noticed firsthand how it affects society. It urges people show humility and deference toward one another. Maybe it's the way the rules are worded that alarmed you. ????

Not so weird if you read the article.

@AnonySchmoose Weird does not = wrong. They are sort of Taoist but from a different angle. A harsher one.

@rainmanjr
Yes... I agree. I felt the rules were weirdly worded or ambiguous, so I searched for alternate versions. Event so, the rules did seem harsh to me too.

Nah. It refers to a hooven animal that doesn't move very fast.

Well, that figures nicely, since you've stated you're a dog.
I feel inclined to chase after hooven animals too.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:617022
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.