Agnostic.com

5 10

I had the great good fortune to come across this lecture by Lawrence Krauss. Best of all was the very lucid explanation of the Higgs boson. It is a wonderful thing to glimpse virtually transcendental concepts - - concepts that put the revered notions of religion to shame.

The Darwin Day Lecture 2017, with Lawrence Krauss | Cosmic Natural Selection:

racocn8 9 Aug 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Best lecture on physics I've heard so far. Good post!

We are here by accident...this universe is here by accident. Yup.
I am at minute 18:12, and he seems to have confirmed one of my pet ideas, that the universe popped out of the foam of virtual particles, but, of course, those particles exist in OUR universe, so that can't quite be it.
"The Higgs field froze this way."
Good posting!

The descriptions of the Higg's field and how it confers what we perceive as mass is fascinating. The origin of the universe remains speculative. When one considers how matter is ultimately waves or strings or whatever, our conventional and subjective experience actually hinders an understanding of multiple dimensions, virtual particles, space-time, etc. It is a sad thing that we cannot entice people to spend time appreciating physics. I wish I had more time to devote to it...

@racocn8 Spot-on.
If you want more of it, and I do not know, of course, how much you have given over to understanding it, you can read some of the books about physics, even quantum physics, written for the layman. I have done that a good bit, over the decades.

Snappy dresser. His shirt, coat, and shoes are meant to compliment the flowers on each side of stage. His explanation of how photons work over distances (starts @42:00, ironically) compliments my NN theory but he also proves that all we see is an illusion. Disproves that humans have significance within it. "Release your fear."

Thanks for the post.

Yeah, he's wonderful explaining scientific concepts. Sadly he's literally a garbage human being, so I can't stomach watching him anymore.

I attended a Pangburn Philosophy Lecture in Phoenix on 2/23/18 which was headlined by Krauss, Harris & Matt Dillahunty. Krauss was at ASU at the time & his 'scandal' broke just then. He did not attend & Harris & Dillahunty mentioned the situation but since it was so new did not go into any depth.
Harris, to my disappointment has since seemed to go wildly astray on a number of issues, too, tho no 'sex' scandals to my knowledge. Dawkins has also turned into a putz on some things.
Atheism does not convey wisdom nor the absence of human foibles & frailties. I used to enjoy watching/hearing from Krauss, Harris & Dawkins, but like you I find it difficult anymore. So sad.

There is good reason to believe that Krauss is the victim of political character assassination much like what happened to Franken. Republicans tried to smear Mueller and Biden with sex scandals, so it's important to examine both sides.

Awesome! I love Dawkins too! This lecture starts off with a point about how Darwin was disputed by a couple leading Physicists of that day. One of those physicists is also known for dismissing the future potential of radio, x-rays and airplanes. Great story!! hahaha

Good lecture. This is off topic but god really did want the races to remain separate. He was so stupid he did not know mankind would invent airplanes. I'm serious. Some preachers still preach this but not with my punch line.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:618563
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.