Agnostic.com

6 10

LINK Va. Supreme Court sides with teacher who refused to use transgender students' pronouns - Axios

The Virginia Supreme Court this week upheld a lower court's ruling that reinstated a Loudoun County teacher who was suspended for refusing to use the preferred names and pronouns of transgender students.

The big picture: The judges were sympathetic Monday to physical education teacher Tanner Cross, who cited religious opposition to drafted school policy requiring staffers to use students' chosen names and pronouns.

snytiger6 9 Sep 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's against someone's religion to address a student with their preferred name? There are a lot of people who go by names that are a bit androgynous, feminine or masculine, given or adopted as preferred name. Pronouns are easy to work around when preference is in question - but easy to go out of ones way to use a non-preferred one if known. Seems cruelty is in that teacher's religion, more than compassion and grace.

When I was in school several students had names they preferred that weren't the names given them at birth. None of them were trans or crossed gender lines, but either way kids shoudl be able to be called by the name of their choice.

Zey better reevaluate zeir position on this.

What do you expect from a state in the south. They still believe you can pray away Covid.

VA no longer has any similarity to Southern culture. Get current.

I know I will get flack for this, and I agree that gays rights and such matter, and I am a supporter of such, but personally this whole pronoun thing seems a bit overwrought. In fact, at times I think people carry it to such an extreme that it becomes PC run amok. I say just have the teachers call the kids by their first name, whatever it is on their student info, and leave it at that. I guess I never cared what teachers called me by as long as it wasn't some insult or made up name, but then again I am hetero and cis, as they say nowadays. I think it's way more important for schools to focus on dealing with the bullying that happens between kids, of which I experienced my share. I wish they had been trying to deal with that back in my day.

Arse.

Seems fucking religion gets a pass again!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:619754
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.