Agnostic.com

5 8

Dick Gregory has left the world at 84. Another important person in the field of civil rights.
”Dick Gregory was jailed and beaten by Birmingham police for parading without a permit in 1963. He took a bullet in the knee while trying to calm a crowd during the Watts riots in 1965. Two years later, he ran for mayor of Chicago against the infamous Richard Daley.”
”He was a close friend of Martin Luther King Jr. and in 1968 he ran for president against Richard Nixon. He pulled an astonishing 1.5 million votes—as a write-in candidate. During that campaign, he was arrested by U.S. Treasury agents for printing and distributing fake American currency with his picture on the bills as campaign literature.”

”In the summer of 1968 he fasted for 45 days as a show of solidarity with Native Americans. The following summer he did another 45 days in protest of de facto segregation in the Chicago public schools. In 1970 he went 81 days to bring attention to the narcotics problem in America. Beginning in 1971 he went nearly three years without solid foods, again to protest the war. During that stretch he ran 900 miles from Chicago to D.C.
During the Iran hostage crisis, he traveled to Tehran in an effort to free the hostages and he traveled to the north of Ireland to advise hunger-striking IRA prisoners. In his campaign against hunger he traveled to Ethiopia more than ten times.
Throughout his life, Dick Gregory was a target of FBI and police surveillance, and he was virtually banned from the entertainment arena for his political activism.
He died today at the age of 84. We spoke with him many times on Democracy Now!, about racial profiling, the death penalty & more. Hear him tell his life story, in his own words:”

[democracynow.org]

JackPedigo 9 Sep 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was raised in a white bread world, did not really hear about this sort of stuff. I can almost see my mom turning off the TV at 4pm, the soaps are over and the news would have been viewed later after we were in bed. Dinner is at 5pm. Even once I was 3,000 miles away the habit of not watching the news made me pretty politically ignorant. At 68 I read these stories and sometimes feel damn stupid. Then I meet a person who only remembers John Lewis as the uppity negro because they grew up in a white bread town in rural Wa State and that was what the people in that town thought as they watched the news. She remembers thinking things would be so much calmer if he would just stop riling people up. She was stunned as his story was told when he passed but still explained it was just not what they were told when she was young growing up in a town with one black family.
I understand exactly why Colin Kaepernick took a knee but I still see far too many white people who view this as unpatriotic, I think they still just do not get it.
Good post.

A talented man, activist, comedian with a great heart, sad at his passing

I saw him speak at a rally at Mt. Tamalpais, CA. He was popular with many anti-war and civil rights activists, plus he was a good speaker and comedian. An all-around hero. RIP....

"In 1961, Gregory was working at the black-owned Roberts Show Bar in Chicago..." and he said to the audience:

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. I understand there are a good many Southerners in the room tonight. I know the South very well. I spent twenty years there one night.

Last time I was down South I walked into this restaurant and this white waitress came up to me and said, "We don't serve colored people here." I said, "That's all right. I don't eat colored people. Bring me a whole fried chicken."

Then these three white boys came up to me and said, "Boy, we're giving you fair warning. Anything you do to that chicken, we're gonna do to you." So I put down my knife and fork, I picked up that chicken and I kissed it. Then I said, "Line up, boys!" [en.wikipedia.org]

He obviously had a quick mind. I envy that.

I never knew he was so active on so many fronts, but I do remember his run for president.

Cut high school to see him at Oakland's Civic Auditorium.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:620148
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.