Agnostic.com

10 13

Recently I met a woman on a dating site and this progressed to the point of her coming to visit me and maybe some Netflix and Chill. For a short time I was excited and looking forward to this.

Last Thursday was the big day as everything fell into place. My lady friend was on her way but in her texts she said she was bringing her niece along with her and the girl was upset that she did not bring her game. My first reaction was why bring the niece? Well, she would take her back if I would just go out and buy the girl a game card. This was where it got interesting. I told her it was one of the biggest scams in the book. If I go buy you only one Google Play card at $20 and give you the number off that card in texting it means you have my $20. This is what scammers do for money and they think everyone is gullible.

She seemed upset and asked if I thought she would really do that to me. Certainly, I said. That ended her trip (if it really was a her) and all contact and communication with her. I'm not fully into texting as it is only words on a screen. I also believe fully that if people cannot talk to you on the phone it means they have something to hide.

DenoPenno 9 Sep 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The niece, thrown-into the mix at the last minute would have ended it right there for me. That's just crazy on several levels. If you were a nut case, then she's endangering the girl. If not a nut case, then she's turning the meeting into a baby-sitting event. I would have immediately told her we'd need to re-schedule, or else meet at the McDonalds of her niece's choice for coffee and a Happymeal. But there were plenty of red flags before that anyway.

Good for you! That deal started to stink as soon as the niece was mentioned.

Right, who brings a girl to a strange man's home for a first date. No matter how nice someone seems, it just doesn't make good sense. If the woman had to babysit, then she should have just canceled the date. Just doesn't add up to anything normal.

@Julie808 who goes to a stranger's home , male or female, or even tells them their address?????!!!!!!

This is Scary "thinking".........NEVER give out personal info to internet anybody!!!!!

Now she/he/it knows where you are, that you live alone, your age range, at a bare minimum this is a Terrible idea!

@AnneWimsey YES, always meet in a neutral public place. Twice, I've met obvious transsexuals (not my type).

The woman may not be real or may not be a woman at all. The niece was invented to explain why I would have to buy a gift card. Gift cards of any kind are usable as money just like our paper money. The scammer was going to get my money and not even leave her/his house.

@DenoPenno Seems like a very low-level starter-scam though. There had to be an escalation plan in there after getting the card, like they get in a car accident and need $1000 for the hospital, quick.

@BitFlipper The first person I met face to face from Our Time, four years ago, was a transexual. I met them at a movie theater and I still saw the movie with them, but then told them as we parted ways I was not interested in further contact. Looking back, I should have been more critical and skeptical about the few profile photos this person had, but at the time, the photos did appear to be that of a woman. If I had done a phone call before meeting them, I probably would have immediately picked up that it was a tran person, as the voice was very low and masculine, sounded a lot like Harvey Fierstein, in fact.

I didn't come away upset, just wary about ever meeting anyone again that seemed at all sketchy on their gender identity, and if I ever had doubts about any future members, that I would insist on a phone call first.

At worst you lost a date and a nice evening. Not sure why you would have been responsible for buying the niece a game card. Wouldn't the aunt have that responsibility?

Yea... something seems a bit shady with that nonsense.

@DenoPenno

Glad you realized the scam. Well done.

Escamotage.

Glad you caught on to her scheme. What a disappointment for you that someone would play with your feelings like that for a scam. Getting your hopes up and then trying to pull something like that.

Years ago in Texas I had a spouse die. A scammer came along and educated me the hard way. I'm pretty damned hard to fool.

Same here. Another reason for me to not have a smartphone and I insist that if I share phone numbers with someone early in the dating game, it is for verbal phone talks only, no texting, as I have a landline only, at least as far as anyone new to me knows. If they won't video chat or talk live on the phone with you after trading some messages for a week or less, they are probably hiding something, too busy to actually date, or maybe just busy and messaging several other men, so they are short on time to communicate or meet in person with all of them. Regardless, in most cases, these are women not worth wasting my time on, as they are either hiding something, too busy to date, or I have so much competition for them that I am likely to get rejected or passed up anyway.

If they won't talk to you live, they're probably a guy trying to scam you. I've encountered that dozens of times on various dating sites. Some of the sites actually have women working phones to keep you on the sites, and they always send you a bunch of "I'm interested in you" when your membership is close to lapsing. These contacts then disappear as soon as you renew.

I agree with you and that is not paranoid. I have also experienced lots more interest from women soon before my paid subscription was due to run out. I trust the dating sites about as far as I can throw them, but there are no better options in my situation. Maybe it would be different if I were in the mainstream for my local area in culture and lifestyle, as it leaves me with a very small dating pool around here of compatible single women.

Ha... Ha... too bad you did not get her ass.

The scammers are getting more real now. I am getting very good at nipping it in the bud. I teach information security at work. Falling for one would be a big failure.

I am not familiar w Google pay cards . What that means ? Like a gift card ? She wanted u to send her via text a gift card for 20 dollars ?

I called it Google Play. Google is just one example and apparently if you buy these gift cards and send someone the number off the card it is like instantly giving them the money. They then have the complete gift card that you bought.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:620479
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.