Agnostic.com

3 1

An Australian woman's opinion of Australia?

Caitlin Johnstone: Australia’s not a free country. State surveillance and autocracy are rife because we have no bill of rights
[rt.com]
I proved back in about 1992 much of what she says about human rights in the Australian Federal Appeal Court when they & the original judge refused to uphold international treaties signed by Australia promising the world to uphold covenanted & agrred to human rights.

I didn't see her submissions to the Federal Senate enquiry into Downer & Evans proposed crude amendments to the Administrative Decisions Law in 1996 but she probably was still in diapers then. Furthermore I didn't see her submission into the enquiry into the Victorian ineffective human rights law. My submission was censored in Hansard. The law is supposed to be given full review every four years however the last tabled was in 20.

She got it right that anything more difficult than opening a beer can is generally too much hard work and that to paraphrase Justice Evatt who said back in the 1996 enquiry "this is Australian hypocrisy".

FrayedBear 9 Sep 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Do you read anything but RT? If you think Australia is not a free country try living somewhere else. Could I suggest The Russian Federation?

You can listen to the original publication on the authors Soundcloud page at Listen to Australia Has No Bill Of Rights, And It Shows by Going Rogue With Caitlin Johnstone on #SoundCloud
[soundcloud.app.goo.gl]

Joe when will it dawn on you that like many media RT does not produce much of its own material but probably steals it from original sources. Like Al Jazeera it simply publishes.

Try another of her pieces-

Listen to Propaganda Is The Source Of All Our Problems by Going Rogue With Caitlin Johnstone on #SoundCloud
[soundcloud.app.goo.gl]

@FrayedBear You seem to choose it as your go to. It posts things critical of other governments and targets citizens of that country to view it. When is the last time RT posted anything critical on Putin or Russian Federation? Never? I thought so.

@FrayedBear I agree with some of the premises on this podcast. I just find it curious that you almost always link to RT.

@barjoe Convenience only Joe. If the BBC or Australian ABC had unslanted & comprehensive news rather than woke "do not disturb the government" news I may more frequently use them The ABC can be very parochial.

There is no such thing as a free country.
Each country tolerates certain cultural freedoms concomitant with tradition and expediency for as long as it is expedient to do so, when it is no longer expedient "freedom to" is transposed with the need for "freedom from" until a new status quo is established.
Most freedoms are allowed in order to facilitate fear in the general populous, division in the political system and the desire in the people to be oppressed for their own perceived good.
Oppression by common consent has been the accepted tool of the right since the end of WW2, you don't need a totalitarian government if you can persuade the electorate TO demand and vote for laws against their own interests.
"Woke" society is the latest example of this, when every thing you say can be made to seem offensive, the only freedom left to you is the right to remain silent (and even exercising that right is a bit suspect, because who knows what you are NOT saying).

Yes and let's acknowledge that the gutless, principle-less, ideology vacant, and mostly worthless right-wing union dominated Australian Labor Party has done nothing to redress any of this, spinelessly going along with all right wing policies in fear of being wedged by the Right on policies that it doesn't have in the first place. The ALP now stands for nothing, least of all the rights and freedoms of Australians, at home and abroad.

I take it that your union or ALP person didn't do right by you?

Take heed of my warning "the only good pollies have been dead for 50 years or more".

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:621524
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.