Agnostic.com

2 7

LINK Evangelical Lutheran Church Installs Its 1st Openly Transgender Bishop : NPR

SAN FRANCISCO — The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America installed its first openly transgender bishop in a service held in San Francisco's Grace Cathedral on Saturday.

The Rev. Megan Rohrer will lead one of the church's 65 synods, overseeing nearly 200 congregations in Northern California and northern Nevada.

snytiger6 9 Sep 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’m trying to understand why a gay or transgender person would want to associate with the Christian religion. Kinda like a black person wanting to join the KKK

For most they are reluctant to give up the religion of their childhood and family. You have to remember the number one (positive) thing that religion provides people is a sense of community and belonging. When a person becomes aware of who they are, they want to be accepted and continue to belong.

Personally, I asked the Mormon church to excommunicate me. So, I myself didn't want to continue to belong. However I did feel the loss of community when leaving religion behind.

Humans are herd animals. That means as we evolved we learned to gather in groups for safety. We still have the desire to belong to a group, and belonging often makes us feel safer. It it our animal instinct(s) still at work.

That's a step in the right direction to some degree.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:622007
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.