Agnostic.com

6 9

LINK Norm Macdonald Dead: ‘Saturday Night Live’ Alum & Veteran Comic Was 61 – Deadline

We're all just here on borrowed time. Norm had a brave nine year fight with cancer. Good guy. He was the funniest back when SNL was still funny.

barjoe 9 Sep 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just learned a former Chicago news anchor, Allison Payne died within the past week. Only 57 years old. I guess she had had some health issues in the ten years prior, but to look at her she appeared very healthy and one who would have still much of life ahead of her. It was very sad in the segment to hear her former coanchors talk about just how saddened they were. 57, 61 just too young

I'm not from Chicago so I had never heard of her until she passed away. I read she suffered from depression and had to leave her job 10 years ago. Norm was fired from SNL 25 years ago but he wasn't depressed, he's had cancer for the last 10 years. We are all not long for life.

@barjoe Depression? I hadn't heard that. I heard series of mini-strokes ten years ago. It could have been multiple issues. Either way, sad for both.. I don't remember Norm being fired.

@barjoe It looks like the firing had a definite political aspect to it. I'll repost what I read later. That's unfortunate that was a deciding factor in his role. I know at certain points the show was called "just not funny anymore", but I don't remember exactly when. I've only seen a few skits on political issues in a very long time, I am repeating things others have said, a general opinion show wasn't funny anymore, I don't have an opinion cause I haven't seen it.

@Flowerwall The show stopped being funny after they released Norm.

@barjoe "Throughout his three and a half season run on Update, Macdonald frequently targeted O.J. Simpson, and there was rampant speculation that this was the reason for his dismissal. SNL would go on to mention this theory directly, in the Robert Smigel cartoon “Conspiracy Theory Rock,” which contained the lyrics, “Why did they take Norm Macdonald away? Because he made too many jokes about O.J.” Of course, at the end of the song, we learn that the real reason is because Lorne and Marion Barry went to the same high school."

@Flowerwall Lorne Michael had nothing to do with Norm getting fired. NBC executive Don Ohlmeyer fired Norm MacDonald. He had nothing to do with OJ Simpson getting acquitted. That was etched in stone by the jury selection process. The trial was a moot point.

@barjoe Oh so it was all a joke about firing their best comic mid-season? I mean the mention of it in later SNL episode.

@Flowerwall [en.wikipedia.org]

@barjoe Did you know he, Ohlmeyer, and Simpson were close friends? It's a small world up there. That was a surprise to read. But that is only in one article, others don't mention it. Is it celebrity gossip? Who knows. Anyway, losing ppl at that young of age is sad. That was my original point.

@barjoe You may not be happy to know I heard him in interview declare he was a Christian, and say science should start looking for God and not stop until they find him. It was not said humoursly.

@Flowerwall not happy

loved the way he played Colonel Sanders in recent year - gave the franchise a much needed dose of reality

Fighting cancer the while time. Nobody knew. He told nobody.

R.I.P.; not one of my favorites,still sad news.

He was one of my favorites.

I found him more irritating than funny, like I do with most conservatives.

Bummer, he was the dictionary definition of "quite the character"

Very sad. Underrated entertainer and comedian

Tejas Level 8 Sep 14, 2021
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:622385
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.