Agnostic.com

64 11

Do your family and friends think you're going to hell?

One thing that I'm always curioius about when it comes to my family and friends who are Christian, is whether or not they truly believe I am going to hell. I have people I love and respect in my life who are Christian, and we either avoid the topic of religion or just tread lightly on it. Part of me always wants to ask them if they really think I'm going to be punished for all eternity for not believing what they do and what that conversation would look like. I mean, to me this is one of the best examples of how ridiculous I think the Chrisitan belief system is. I'm just curious if anyone has has this kind of conversation with a friend or loved one who they have a mutually respectful relationship with.

Sara81 4 Apr 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

64 comments (51 - 64)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As a kid my mum (who passed away 8 years ago), used to say, hell has a special place for me whenever I misbehaved, which incidentally was most of the time. I think that as she got older herself, she went from being devoutly religious to being open to other ways of thinking.

RonB Level 5 Apr 22, 2018

Nope. They are pretty much all atheists.

The few theists I know probably think so, but no longer bother saying so as they know they cannot win the argument and can only resort toi their "faith" as a defence.

I've been told that and I reply "I don't believe in a heaven or hell".

That is what I say. Or I believe we have the creative power to create our own heaven or he'll or somewhere in between right here

Every1 tells me that but the funny part is that im not Christian nor do I believe or accept anything from the 3 major religion.

Even though they claim to be Christian they don't seem very concerned about it. It strikes me odd as If they REALLY did believe the most important thing would be the condition of my soul.

No, because I never shared my lack of beliefs with them.

I try to give as little of a hint where I'm heading, I hope they don't find me and show up.

They understand me. If they raise the topic, then I have no issue and will speak with little to no emotion openly. If they start to get emotional, I quash the line. They normally don't enjoy the conversation and I try not to smile like they just fell into my trap. lol

A co-worker always tells me "friends don't let friends go to hell." Ironically she's only vaguely religious, doesn't go to church except for Easter and Christmas, and drinks like a fish. It just bothers her that I don't believe.

My family and I don't speak about religion.

My old man used to send me letters with Bible quotes saying how he was concerned that "your mother and your grandparents are waiting for you in Heaven and I'm afraid that you're not going to get there." Finally I put my foot down and told him I am a grown man and I don't have to answer to him or anyone else about the subject. He hasn't mentioned it since.

I wish my aunts would listen when I say stuff like that. I've told them repeatedly to stop sending me texts and chain emails either the latest christian nonsense making the rounds on the internet, or the latest gop stuff they run across. Aunt forwarded me an email waxing nostalgic about the 60's something about bikes and penny whistles and crap. So I replied that the 60's were also a time of great turmoil and the only people who should long to go back are old straight white guys. Because everyone else was miserable. They wonder why I avoid family reunions.

Yeah, I used to get the "lake of fire" and "gnashing of teeth" comments, but after 40 years they gave up and I gave up asking for "proof". Not a lot of sense in threatening a person with damnation when that person just shrugs and raises a knowing eyebrow. And yes we co-exist and I get invited to family reunions, Thanksgiving and Christmas. And I'll hold hands with them during their group blessing, just no head bowing.

My religious friend from early teen years thinks that someday I'm gonna wake up in a place that I do not want to be. He means die and wake up in hell, of course. But it already happened. I was in religion and I woke up someplace I didn't want to be. Then I left!
Only in religion can you die and then wake up. It's ridiculous.

I doubt it 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:62397
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.