Agnostic.com

96 11

What, in your opinion, is the greatest invention in human history?

Anything from the hand-axe to the quantum computer.

Jnei 8 Apr 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

96 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Maxwell's Equations on Electro-Magnetism!

That & toilet paper/indoor plumbing!

Were those invented or discovered?

@indirect76 Maybe a fine line, there. He worked them out until they fit, tough call!

Music!

Indoor plumbing.

Slip on winter boots.

Language is helpful. But I also really enjoy a cold beer every now and then.

Kaleidescope

Synchronicity! I was just researching information about refracting light and kaleidoscopes! I am curious about sun stones and how they were used. I have been working up some theories.
Lol The question! there are so many miraculous inventions it’s hard to choose. I think the best was Tesla’s free energy. Sadly the powers that be were greedy and wanted to make money off of energy and screwed up the world.
How life started would be cool to know for sure but maybe we wouldn’t want to know.

@CandyWorner I wish we had an understanding of a lot of things Tesla thought about

Think the pencil is a brilliant design that is pretty much unchanged since it was created. Simple, functional... the other greatest invention is paper. Then there are books...

I love technologies but most will not function with out electricity. And that can be limiting. When you have a pencil, paper, and imagination the possibilities are endless.

The boat! But then I'm biased.

That is an interesting question that I had not thought of until now. I would have to say that the greatest invention ever is the camera and how that morphed into video recordings. Not only do these things further our understanding of history but as a person that has researched the ancestry of over 50+ families - pictures bring it home. It's one thing to visit a cemetery for names and dates - it's quite another to have pictures of these people and how they lived and labored for us over 160+ years ago.

Good question. I wish I had an answer, but I don't. I will say that the one that has had the most profound and all encompassing effect on the development of civilization is written language. I'd say it was foundational.

Clearly it is the goat bag you posted before.
Or maybe language. It's kind of a toss-up.

hands down the goat bag...Im kinda a goat expert and inventor, It would actually work quite well!

How about Toilet Paper? It would be hell to be using leaves to wipe up.

The "power grid".

The Microwave. Nothing says "I don't feel like cooking, but don't wanna go out." Like nuking some kind of food

Democracy

writing

I have to say the best thing ever created by man (human race), is just one thing, Coffee! 2nd would be bacon.

ELECTRICITY! Or, if you want to be fussy, the production and harnessing of it. Everything else depends on it.

I have true answers. But because this is the site it is and no ones said it I’m going too lol
Religion. Allowed a few to control the masses with little effort.

I'd challenge that answer. If religion is used to control the masses, it doesn't do it very well as the controlling mechanism puts such a strain on the overall intelligence of the population that it eliminates any perceived gains by creating losses in other dynamics of society where higher intelligence is necessary.

@redbai that’s because it’s the 21st century. But from the Egyptians to Roman times to the 1800s it’s how they instilled fear and control over the majority

@redbai, @Renickulous and you know what they say. Respect your enemy haha

@Ryan86 I don't agree that it has anything to do with what time period we are living in. Galileo's experience with the Catholic Church is one of the more glaring demonstrations of how they try to suppress knowledge for simply going against their religious doctrines. Then it was whether the earth was the center of the universe and today it's whether or not dinosaurs existed or the age of the earth.

There is nothing positive about religion unless you are predisposed to believe that the concept of worshiping and blindly following anything because you don't understand something is a positive. I am not so predisposed.

I'd also like to say that neither the Egyptians or Romans could have controlled their empires if they only used religion. Both of those empires also had a very strong military force to "instill fear and control over the majority" and used it more readily than they did the wrath of gods or their priests.

I have true answers. But because this is the site it is and no ones said it I’m going too lol
Religion. Allowed a few to control the masses with little effort.

An update on my previous answer. The bacon sandwich 🙂

Telephone

The back scratcher (Bliss!)

Birth control.

Zero. The concept of nothing is needed to make sense of anything.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:62423
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.