Agnostic.com

8 11

[grist.org]

"A multimillion disinformation campaign is trying to convince you that trophy hunting is ‘sustainable’ "

"Groups promoting “sustainable use” to protect wildlife have close ties to industry. To protect biodiversity, we need to follow the money."

Question: Do you know of a hunting group that claims to support 'sustainable use'?

AnonySchmoose 8 Oct 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In the UK things are a little different, we have been more intensively peopled and agricultural for a long time. There has especially in England, been very little truly wild land for centuries. So that the hunting, shooting, fishing movement has been a major contributer to conservation for a long time. They made a lot of bad judgments in the past, especially the nineteenth century, such as nearly exterminating many predators. But while I do not care for it any longer myself, I have to recognize that a lot of our few and scattered wilderness areas, in a very heavily cultivated land, only continued to exist down the centuries because people wanted sport. But perhaps happily things have moved on, and today conservation movements, now probably have more disposable wealth than field sports do, the bird society, RSPB, for example, is today a major land owner.

In America, we squeeze wild animals out of their native habitat and they end up in places where they are destructive to property. Hunting deer for example keeps their numbers sustainable. Too many deer can result in sickly and undernourished deer. I have no idea whether or not that is true with the African animals.

Yes... if culling isn't being done by other wild animals, then hunting an appropriate number of animals for food is sustainable. A lot of threatened African wildlife isn't hunted for food, but for trophies or superstitious health remedies... which is tragic... and poachers will use up wildlife until they make it extinct.

Hunting for survival is natural. Hunting for “sport” is vulgar.

Agreed... the 'sustainable' hunting that is supported by the politically powerful who use it for more power and influence bothers me

Trophy hunting is total bullshit. I hunt nothing today but would do so for food purposes if and when it came to that.

Agree with that... Trump's son went on safari, and I bet no real 'sustainable' effort was part of it

Thanks for your post, Schmoose. (I wish you had a name.) I hunted ONCE when I was young and stupid, and then figured out I don't want to kill animals.

Having an unpronounceable name makes sharing difficult.

@AnonySchmoose You mean that "AnonySchmoose" is unpronounceable? Or your actual name?

Ducks Unlimited actually does promote conservation, at least it did awhile ago...that's about the only one I've ever heard of that does so.

The Pheasants Forever website is truly informative.
Good that hen hunting is now forbidden by P.F.

Spin doctors at it's most hideous

The ideology of one species domination of planet.

@AnonySchmoose The Christian idea that God gave us domination over all other life. Of course true domination requires caring, mothering, husbandry.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:625910
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.