Agnostic.com

4 7

King Charles II

Jolanta 9 Oct 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Better than the Cromwell years

King Charles II…he was otherwise known as “the Merry Monarch”, unsurprisingly, as he came after the cheerless 11 Puritan years of the Cromwell Commonwealth or Protectorate, after they lopped the head off his father Charles I for treason and tyranny against the people in 1649. Charles II restored revelry, drinking and theatre to England and was a great patron of the arts during his reign. He is also famous for his many mistresses the most famous of which was the Orange seller Nell Gwynn…whom it’s alleged on his deathbed, he asked of his brother James…”let not poor Nelly starve”. An apocryphal tale I’m sure, but one that has persisted down through history to the present day.

Shows how much I know, thought King Charles was a Spaniel with a cavalier attitude and that the oranges would be there at the break.

@waitingforgodo Not too far off the mark then!

@Marionville the arts, to which you refer, often enjoy royal patronage.

The history of time, clocks and longitude.

[en.wikipedia.org]

To say nothing of that other side of the planet where never the twain shall meet.

[en.wikipedia.org]

. . . clocks, longitude ? :

[rmg.co.uk]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:626328
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.