Agnostic.com

4 3

Fuck off Uber & Lyft with your in-vehicle face recognition\ analysis linked advertising ?

Imagine hopping into an Uber or Lyft and having a surveillance device immediately scan your face—harvesting data about your age, race, gender, and even attempting to analyze your emotions––and then show you an advertisement based on its assessment of your biometric information.

Looking a little sad? Here’s an ad for anti-depressants. Does the algorithm think you’re a senior? Here’s an ad for nearby retirement homes.

Rideshare companies are currently allowing exactly this: a company called Alfi has been partnering with Uber and Lyft drivers to install in-vehicle tablets that use facial recognition and analysis software to invade your privacy, just to show you “personalized” advertisements during your ride.1,2

Tell Uber and Lyft to ban facial recognition and any other surveillance-based advertising technology on rideshare users and drivers.

TAKE ACTION

There’s no telling what these companies will do with your data once they scan your face, especially since there aren’t laws in most places to prevent them from collecting, storing, and even selling your sensitive biometric information to other advertising companies, data brokers, or even the government.

But here’s the good news: Alfi is doing all of this without Uber’s or Lyft’s permission, and all those companies have to do to stop this is add a line to their driver agreements banning the use of this technology on rideshare users.

Legislators have already started digging into rideshares using facial recognition on advertising tablets.3 Now these companies need to hear from you. Tell Uber and Lyft to ban invasive, discriminatory facial recognition and emotion scanning software.

Together,

Caitlin at Fight for the Future

Footnotes:

1. Bloomberg: [bloomberg.com]

2. Miami Herald: [miamiherald.com]

3. Vice: [vice.com]

FrayedBear 9 Oct 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The anti-vaxxers dilemma
I don't want "Them" telling me to cover my face with a mask, but I don't want "Them" looking at my face either, does not compute

I seem to be having a problem with others not knowing that society's treatment of Typhoid Mary effectively stopped her spreading the disease.

I don't know why the anti maskers & anti vaxers could not just be simply provided with the opportunity to live with their ilk on deserted islands

Vote with your wallet, patronize those who DON"T violate privacy. 😛

Wear a mask. That'll teach them facial recognition thigamajiggers.

Someone has or was developing an algorithm to recognise you with mask.

Don't knock it until you tried it. Get in the cab with no trousers and wearing a big plastic strap on, and see what they offer you then.

You only have your face scanned so fix it to your nose.

@FrayedBear A nose job, always worked for my first girlfriend.

@Fernapple Particularly if you have a mo & beard!

@FrayedBear No I just have a very big nose. Though sadly anything you may have heard about, if your nose is big, so is everything else, is not true. LOL

@Fernapple there was an Australian gold medallist who had a female ask the same question about his enormous size 17 feet. I think he sued & got substantial damages.

@Fernapple hands are a better gauge but nothing is always

@whiskywoman Oh, my hands I assure you, are more than good enough on their own. They have even been described as god like, as in. "Oh, my god, I never had anything like that before !" LOL

@Fernapple lucky man ... I love hands almost as much as ...well you know

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:626366
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.