Agnostic.com

23 2

Lets say It was NOW the year 2060. The world is completely different. A new Government is in power and they have abolished the constitution. Citizens NO LONGER HAVE FREEDOM OF RELIGION. You are forced to pick a Christian Religion or face DEATH. Which religious faith would you choose and why? If you choose Death Why? Please be honest because it helps us all get to know each other better.

Remember, Non Belief is not an option. Only Death.
your choices are:

Catholic
Baptist
Methodist
Mormon
Pentecostal
Lutheran
Presbyterian
Protestant
Episcopal
Evangelical
Jehovah's Witness
Orthodox(varied)
OR (DEATH)

twshield 8 Dec 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Skyfacer - Neither are Unitarians.

Meanwhile, I would choose death. I would rather die than to betray my convictions. If I were to choose, I would have to secretly fight the powers that be and reverse the orders of abolishment.

Quite frankly, I believe if Trump is impeached by the House and found guilty by the Senate, and if Pence becomes president, we will be headed towards a theocracy sooner than later.

It astounds me how many people in this country cannot see that, @SageDave.

I guess Catholic. I faked that one for years so I'm pretty good at it already.

Whoah. Don't you read history? Do you really need to ask? This is what happened in previous centuries - being forced to "believe" in a religion or die. I'd choose whatever religion required me to do the least harm, and that would totally depend on its leadership, not its values. But of course I wouldn't believe.

I'll NOT pick a religion.
Everyone has to die, and so will i.

If one decides to worry, there can be a lot to worry about.

Aw , The Quakers are not on the list. They'd be my choice.

No Unitarian /Universalist? What a rip. Hold on a minute while I look at the list again, (death looks pretty inviting). Protestant? Wouldn't that include U/U ? If not, maybe Methodist or Presbyterian. I'll just hold onto death as my hole card.

The way I see things, if I'm dead, I can't fight. Because of this, death would be very far down the list. I'm not going to be here in 2060 anyway, but that doesn't matter much because I see theocracy looming on the horizon now and if the goons in the White House have their way, it will happen sooner than later. With all that taken into account and since you have not seen fit to put Pastafarianism on your list, I suppose I'd opt for Lutheran.

I would practice the most evil form of witchcraft I could muster up, and cast nasty spells on all those forcing people into religion if they didn't want it.

Then I'd happily leave - roasted at the stake no doubt ...

There's always Canada or Israel.

I would choose to leave the country.

To be honest I really don't know. It would depend on what life was like, what family I had, and who depended on me. Until I am faced with it and I know what the pros and cons are I can't give an honest answer. Sorry.

Betty Level 8 Dec 2, 2017

I would pick the one that was most economically stable and rewarding, no matter its label

mzee Level 7 Dec 2, 2017

Death because i'm tired of people's bullshit and i'd rather not be anymore unhappy than I already was. Lol

Presbyterian. I like their music.

Well, given that I'd be almost 100 years old, I'd take death, rather than lie and compromise my principles. If the "new" government requires such a decision, I'm sure there would be other things about it that I wouldn't agree with. So, I'd just as soon be dead than have to deal with their bs. By the time I'm that old, I'd be too tired to fight. I've been fighting against the nonsense my entire life. If we actually ended up with something like that, I wouldn't want to remain around the people who allowed it to happen.

I would like to say death, but how can I honestly know until I come face to face with that decision.

If a Christian can die for their beliefs then soncan I. I won’t be strong armed into believing something I don’t. The only way I could pretend to believe, is if they threatened my friends or family if I didn’t. I have to much love and respect for them to let my pride cause them to come to harm.

To be brutally honest I would fight until my death to remain an Atheist no matter what.

I'd pick whatever stupid religion was least violent, bigoted, and intolerant. Failing that, I'd pick the one that was most popular.

And this isn't an impossibility in the United States. Conservative extremists would turn us into a theocracy if they could.

If it got that bad, I think they would not allow any real choice in various churches. Can you imagine the catholic church would still be tolerated with the pope it has now under someone like trump? I doubt it. Or if so, it would be infiltrated by government spies, to sift out the "rebels". That exact thing happened in Myanmar after under the 30 years of military regime, the Buddhist monasteries were infiltrated, hence you now have this much more aggressive and dangerous form of Buddhism there willing to slaughter the Rohingya people. Not very Buddhist if you go back to the teaching.

You think it will take that long? Another 2 years, tops. I will flee to Canada...gassed-up RV, current passport, some meds & dog food tossed in, and I am Gone. As vocal & nasty as I have been to this administration on both FB and Twitter, plus working for Bernie, I doubt there would be any choice for me anyhow, and damned proud of it!

Don't trouble yourselves thinking that far ahead because by 2060 the lease of your problem will be being forced into a religion.

You do realize that Protestant means any Christian religion that isn't Catholic or Orthodox, right?

Anyways, while I was raised Catholic I would easily choose Lutheran as they are more likely to be on the liberal end of debates. Also, you never said we had to practice the religion and as Lutherans go by a sola scriptura method of salvation I could easily get away with not going to any services by just claiming that the Bible is all I need.

Umm...that just confirmed what I said. Protestantism formed in Germany after Martin Luther protested the Catholic church. Protestantism has many different branches from the Lutherans to the Methodists to the Baptists. My area of expertise is the sociology of religion, trust me I know what I am talking about when it comes to religious affiliations.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6283
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.