Agnostic.com

26 21

Political Hypocrisy

Read the WHOLE post before you comment please.

I see the more liberal leaning members getting pissed when the more conservative members use words like libtard.

I see the more conservative leaning members getting pissed when the more liberal members use words like Trumpster.

Do you not recognize that by using labels like this you BOTH are feeding the division and drama?

Why is it so hard to discuss the issue without assigning a negative label to the individual?

Crimson67 8 Apr 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Insults, labeling, dismissing, racist “dog whistles”—all those hallmarks of incivility—make it impossible to have the kinds of genuine conversations and productive disagreements.
Responding to an argument with an insult may make you feel better, but it doesn’t advance the conversation, and it certainly doesn’t count as participation in the marketplace of ideas." - from an article by Sheila Kennedy (sheilakennedy.net)

@jlynn i have to give you a gold star for consistent even handedness

Good point. I am negative about our POTUS. However, I'm just keeping up with the headlines. If he actually did something positive without a covert reason I would give him credit,but all the man does is lie.

so did all the other presidents

@M3G4N666 The other Presidents didn't come even close to the level of lying that this guy does.

Agreed. When someone attacks another person through verbal assaults, no matter how good their argument may have been, they lose so much validity to their point.
It shouldn't be so difficult for people to respond to others without name calling, but for whatever reason--it is.

Mea Level 7 Apr 21, 2018

@Crimson67, when you say you don't think either side sees them as negative--do you mean for the side using them? As in conservatives calling liberals--libtards, and vice versa?

So true. If you aim to insult you only convince people from the other side to dig in and disagree with you more. If anyone really cares about proving that they are right then respecting the other side and even hearing them out without bashing them is key.

MsAl Level 8 Apr 21, 2018

It's not hard at all. I completely agree with you. There is NO reason to get nasty in this environment where we all have at least one thing in common and when many of us flock here because of harassment received on broader social media platforms.

Same reason more than Half of the Voting Population doesn't vote, or cares too.

I find people that say they're open minded are really not willing to look at a different idea or view of the subject. I always try to look at both sides of a discussion because I'm not always correct in my view point because I have missed some important information

dc65 Level 7 Apr 21, 2018

When l hear too much stupid l will say so. If someone doesn't like what l say, block me. I could care less. I don't really know any of you folks so you are not going to hurt my feelings. I will definitely not quit using derogatory names for the Trumpster. What l do call him is much nicer than what l really think of him. 🙂

@Crimson67 Agreed. I was in a bad mood at that particular time. I'm feeling much better now.? See!

@Crimson67 Why would a conservative Trump supporter object to being called a Trumpster? I call many of them(the poor & middle class, with no health insurance, on public assistance, etc.) "Chickens for Colonel Sanders".. but I'm not sure why Trumpster would offend. They can call me a Berniester or Barackster anytime. My 2cts, Lol

I call DT Buffoon in Office. I don't think of it as derogatory I think of it as fact.

I agree.

And it leads you into an 'ad hominem' state of mind.

yes. exactly.

I usually don't reply with name calling... I just block them ! 🙂

I wonder if one can be totally conservative or totally liberal? I won't pitch my tent in either camp.

Do you think that Caiden Cowger is anything but totally conservative?

@LetzGetReal

Buckley was a little retarded

Very good question.

Men with small penises

@Crimson67 I need a hangar to park my 747?

@Crimson67 I haven't really met any female right wingers or female name callers. it's the guys definitely the guys

People tend to jump to their comfortable extreme and defend it against all comers with insult, badgering and violence if necessary.
Everything is a debate one either wins or loses to them, there is no discussion.
It's practically government policy in the US at this point.
We have become a troll society.

i hate labels.

people are not as smart as they like to think themselves as.

It is not hard. I never use such labels.

Thank you

True. Name calling won't solve any problems. But I've been in sincere discussions with others who don't share my point of view and astounded by illogical and irrational arguments like "Sometimes God chooses evil men to do His bidding." Where do we go with that nonsense? I confess. Although I do not call them unkind names aloud, I certainly label them in my mind! How can you not?

If I would point to any one thing, with cable TV and social media, each of us can tightly control the kind of political information that we can take in. This allows us to tailor the news we get to our own political tastes, and we never get faced with anything that challenges our political assumptions.

@LetzGetReal I hate CNN also and I'm a Liberal. Haven't watched them in 20 years. Fox news, now that's a whole nother level. Lol.

Agree 100%.... Time to start the effort to unite

Well, discussion is in fact exchange of arguments for the reason to win the discussion. I prefer a conversation, in which people can exchange arguments without the need for winning and without judging those who have the conversation.
Maybe naive, but for me it works.

Gert Level 7 Apr 30, 2018

Ditto

As someone way way on the left, I'd have to agree. As soon as name calling starts, the conversation is over. Sometimes I think that's the point, because some people don't want to continue an uncomfortable conversation. I will say though libtard (along with being ableist) implies some sort of mental defect. Trumpster really implies to me someone who supports trump. I guess it's supposed to rhyme with dumpster? I haven't seen that used, but I'm not sure the two are on the same page. However, I probably wouldn't use it, as I prefer to let people label themselves.

I dislike labels and also slurs. I also don't like the "roasts" that comedians are hired to do. For some reason we think it's OK if it masquerades as humor. And to resort to backlash against a person who is inappropriate by using more inappropriateness just lowers you to their level. And even labels given that aren't nasty just tend to lose meaning when they are over used. Where is Derrida's idea of deconstruction of language when you need it

I think because politics is a debate that defines who you are and what you stand for and political elections are key to which side wins if you want equality on the table you vote labour if you want to keep all your offshore accounts intact you vote conservative - It doesnt really matter what we name call each other - what matters is that the system is based on winning and losing and sometimes people win by cheating , (perhaps that should be often rather than sometimes -) so the system is rigged and unfair - and anything so described will call up a lot of emnity for both sides - The division and drama is part of the process in order to get rid of that we would need a much fairer system.

Making comments like that, similar to vulgarities are like seasoning. Sometimes it adds to and enhances the communication but it shouldn't be over done. Too much catsup on a burger makes the whole burger taste like catsup.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:62917
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.