Agnostic.com

4 6

Astrology is based on ancient attempts to make sense of a world that makes no sense.

SnowyOwl 8 Oct 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Exactly

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 24, 2021

But..But.. It's so entertaining... Sometimes they come up with predictions that are pretty close. It's like, why not just tell me my moon is in heat?

It is easy to understand how it began, because of course, some things, like the seasons the tides and the breeding cycles of many animals, are in fact, predictable by observing the movements in the sky. And in ancient times, when most people lived by primitive agriculture and/or hunter gathering, those sorts of things and predicting them, would have been really important, in a way that we can hardly understand now. While the movements of the planets and stars, were one of the few entertainments available while you sat round the campfire at night.

So that it was only a small jump of false logic to start thinking. If the big really important things follow the movements of the stars, perhaps the little things do too.

My mother mentioned that one of her JW friends was going to plant their garlic today because it was the full moon, something that I found quite interesting because this would be a pagan practice and the JW's despise anything pagan. I explained it had more to do with that historically, farmers didn't have printed calendars and had to rely upon the cycles of the moon for timing the planting and harvesting of crops but it seemed to fall on deaf ears.

astrology is the root of christianity

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:629896
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.