Agnostic.com

41 16

Do you check off qualities in a potential partner like you would groceries on a grocery list?

When I first started dating, I thought I knew exactly what I wanted and needed in a romantic partner, but as I've grown older I've dropped the "check list" approach. It's not that I don't still have standards or that I don't still look for compatibility or shared interests/similarity, it's more that I've realized by not giving people a chance that don't meet all the "check marks", I stand to miss out on wonderful people that often have "check marks" in other categories I didn't even realize were important for compatibility. Some of my best relationships and closest friends have been forged with people I initially never thought I'd get along with.

Mea 7 Apr 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments (26 - 41)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No never, it starts with 'fancying' someone. One can and does fancy the oddest people so having a shopping list is, for me at least, a waste of time 🙂

No

It never crossed my mind to do so. Well, no theists or new agey types, but that’s a given.

Like a software that requires minimum Windows 95.

I have certain things that I know I'm not willing to compromise on but I try to keep an open mind about looking for potential partner.

I have more of an idea of what I want to experience, for example, connection, laughter, great places to hike together, fun, intellectual stimulation, harmony.....so it is a list but not of qualities of the person..but what I bring to table that someone might l I'm e to experience too.

Life is too short to make checklists for everything. I like to take risks every now and then, and have met some decent people along the way by doing so.

I think a combination of qualities can lead to attraction, sometimes unexpectedly when something you thought you wanted is absent in the person. I evaluate on a case by case basis!

I don't have a checklist so much as a list of things that if someone is into it means I like them much more and when someone starts showing and mentioning things that I really like or have always wanted in a partner I make a mental note of it. I never really have anything go anywhere because I am clueless with flirting but I still keep my mental notes lol

I always kind of worried about the whole 'missing an opportunity by looking too hard in one specific direction' and some of my more fulfilling relationships have been with people who were completely off-book. I never really tried to do the whole checklist thing until well into my 20s, and even that was relatively open-ended. That said I've also always spent a lot of time over analyzing compatibility with people I considered potential prospects.

Checklist sounds like a lot of work. If we click, then we go from there. You’d be surprised how much doesn’t matter when you enjoy someone’s company.

Marz Level 7 Apr 25, 2018

NEVER I divorced my ex after 40 years of marriage, Why would I ever want another one?

No check list, here.

I don't think checklists are a good idea.Many people with very different ideas to mine jave become my closet friend.

In a sense quite but in general I don't go looking for partners but if I find someone attractive and compatible with me I'll generally see what else we have that's compatible or desirable.

All the people who have meant something to me never came off a checklist. It was like when they showed up and as I got to know them I just sort of "knew." As it should be -- the best relationships happen organically, a feeling that "this is just right.'

I like a checklist, but it isn't realistic for people. If you change the dynamic from demands to desires then more options exist.

I like a practical checklist of bare minimums such as: not being a serial killer, not being a pedophile, not having anger problems and abusive behaviors, having a good work ethic, and being loyal and respective of people. After that, amongst some other bare minimums, you can try to develop relationships with anyone.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:63078
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.