Agnostic.com

3 0

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Black gay man in the start of the clip, who states flatly his own intolerance for feminine things, is a sexual minority, to be sure. He is in no way shape or form an expert on gender minorities. These are parallel but separate issues.

As for Chappelle, he has a lot to say, a lot of social insights, and I am a fan. But his short, dismissal of trans persons with the simple comment that gender is a biological fact is actually misguided. Gender IS a biological fact, BUT that biology is more than mere anatomy. It is also chemical, hormonal, and even apparently involves subtle brain structure details that experts are still hard pressed to measure and quantify with any accuracy. Since approximately one in a thousand babies is born a hermaphrodite, this real, factual non-binary sex absolutely proves that male and female exist in more than merely two distinct categories. So why should we assume that it is not also possible in the hormonal realm of gender identity?

Chappelle's implication that transgender is falsely made up is just not accurate.

Unfortunately, today we are not able to have public debates over social issues with any hope of recognition of subtlety or that different sides of a debate might both/all have some valid points. Cancel culture is out of control. Rather that refute ideas people deem wrong, they attack the speaker's right to utter wrong opinions in the first place. The discussion moves quickly away from whether and how Chappelle was right or wrong and instead becomes whether and how he "should" be censored and punished, banned from public platforms.

Please read this article below. George Carlin spoke this truth 40ish years ago. It could have been to Chappelle today. I love the point he made that he staunchly defends his fellow comedians' right to voice their opinions, even if wrong. But he does not argue for them to enjoy immunity from criticism. He called out comedians who choose to aim their sharp wit like a weapon against already-marginalized groups. When trans women of color are the most likely of all demographics to be murdered, people with a powerful public platform have a moral duty, if not a legal requirement, to try not to do more harm with their words.

[scoop.upworthy.com]netflix-closer-comedy-special-transphobic

WIth all due respect, how are racists an underdog?

@redbai we apparently aren't having the same conversation. I was speaking of Chappelle's passing comment dismissing transgender identity. Separate issue from racism.

@MikeInBatonRouge Please provide quote in context.

@redbai Okay, sure. In his show, he said a lot of great stuff, and he's Chappelle, so of course careful linguistic etiquette is never his aim. It was clear from the entirety of his show, as well as past statements, that he does care about inclusivity, and he does not hate trans people.

But his singular comments backing up Rowling and saying to count him as a T.E.R.F. was just ignorant and guaranteed to draw the protests from trans advocates. Lots of people, surely most, are confused by trans identity issues. Understandable, because it is complicated, even to queer people, ...even many trans people.

Like I said above, he confuses biological sex with gender. They overlap, for the most part, but they are separate things, and biology of gender is more than simple anatomy. It is hormonal, and it is brain chemistry. Trans people are dismissed as "choosing" to reject their "true" gender, and comments like Chappelle's and Rowling's pile on to that misconception and like it or not also are seized on my hateful people as justification for their bigotry. It is clear to thoughtful people who bother to take Chappelle's statements in context that it is not his intent. But it is the predictable outcome. Cancel culture police don't accommodate specific difference of opinion or nuance very well. If they disagree with a specific statement, then their public response is to demand that person's career be cancelled.

That specific T.E.R.F. endorsement from Chappelle was the only thing in his entire show I found objectionable, and that is where public conversation needs to happen, if people on various sides of a social issue are going to breech any gaps in mutual understanding.

Cancel culture police lack tolerance, perhaps because they have some justification in believing that statements from prominent public figures can translate into violent actions by, in this case, bashers itching for any excuse to justify murdering trans people. They are right to be worried and justified in feeling exasperated, even though they may fail to assess Chappelle by the entirety of his public actions.

@MikeInBatonRouge I'd like to point out that you did not quote him you explained what other people thought about what he said.

"But his singular comments backing up Rowling and saying to count him as a T.E.R.F. was just ignorant and guaranteed to draw the protests from trans advocates."

Yeah, and he knew that. And he knew that it would be the focus while ignoring everything else he said in the special about racism which was the other 95% of the special. The ability to quickly create such a narrative demonstrates that there are trans advocates which can get all this attention pointed at what they infer a single person says about trans issues but they can't muster these same resources when racism against black people is involved. Thus demonstrating the veracity of 95% of Chappelle's special which is totally being ignored - which is his point.

@redbai I didn't quote him only because I did not have his exact words printed in frpnt of me. But I watched his show myself, not relying on reporters or such. I referenced what he said himself. "Biology is a fact." "...then count me a T.E.R.F." etc.

@MikeInBatonRouge Please explain the "harm" of those statements. How does Dave Chappelle defining his understanding of gender roles "harm" as opposed to open a chance for dialog about the subject.

The irony is the term TERF was created a little more than a dozen years ago to define the lack of interest in trans women's issues in the feminist movement. What's the term for the lack of interest in the trans community for black issues?

@redbai I am no pro at coining terms. Perhaps you can come up with something.

The "harm" you ask about is that implying gender is biologically determined by one's biological sex(that is how I understood his implication when he stated "biology is a fact" ) helps erase trans identity as they are fighting for visibility and acceptance. And claiming momentary common cause with T.E.R.F.s is alarming. But maybe he is not aware of T.E.R.F history of actually campaigning against trans basic civil rights protections. When one is suddenly warmly praised and supported by nasty right-wing politicians, it ought to give pause to reconsider how progressive one actually is.

And before you say it, yes I know that was one small part of his message, although it seemed more like 20% of his talk, not 5%.

I am gay and care about trans issues. I disagreed with what I remember of Chappelle's basic take on transgender identity, but his wider point was proved right by the cancel culture "police" trying to insist he be publicly censured. Free speech matters. We have to be able to have open dialogue. The answer to public statements that misrepresent something we care about is to publicly respond, to engage the debate, to make our case for why we think the other perspective is misguided. Nobody will learn a damn thing otherwise.

The black community is just as phobic as the white community, perhaps more so. It would have been worse for me if I had been a person of color.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:631087
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.