Agnostic.com

6 6

LINK PETA Wants The MLB To Rename 'Bullpen' to 'Arm Barn' : NPR

"Issues" like this trivialize important causes and take away support for animal rights. This goes on with environmentalists and to a lesser degree civil rights groups. Some things are too silly to be worth fighting for.

barjoe 9 Oct 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If PETA wanted my sympathy they would have started with how baseball is so damn boring. I trail off into a coma before even thinking about what “bullpen” might mean. I balk at baseball, a sport almost as boring as golf to watch.

Now I do think Native Americans have a legitimate grievance against use of certain team names, gestures, and war chants that seem derogatory or demeaning. Atlanta comes to mind. That’s more of a real issue than “bullpen”.

I don't agree with baseball being boring. I just watched a great game 4 tonight. I agree with the Braves chant being derogatory. I'm watching the post game show right now. The Redskins had to remove that name, Indians are now the Guardians. If the Braves win the World Series and it looks like they will, you'll see the Tomahawk Cop and hear the War Chant incessantly. Yes it's offensive

Silly is right , sometimes P.E.T.A. can be off the hook

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 30, 2021

Some things are not too silly to fight for but our choice of words can really Doom the fight before it starts.

I think my choice of words is completely accurate in this instance.

@barjoe I meant our choice of words instead of your.

@Lorajay Most things are worth fighting for. This isn't.

This type of behavior is all too frequently seen in groups that have allowed their idealism to master their pragmatism. And they appear not to have done their research when it comes to the etymology of the term “bullpen” in baseball. What baseball term are they going to go after next? No more ducks on the pond (runners in scoring position)? Can’t say dying quail to describe a softly hit fly ball that drops in front of the outfielder?

I would’ve expected PETA to complain about the use of cowhide for mitts, shoes and baseballs, but it seems this group’s mission has expanded to the absurd. Pretty soon they’ll be telling us it’s speciesist to put the cart before the horse, let the cat out of the bag, ignore the elephant in the room and kill two birds with one stone! 😂

This is what a real issue looks like IMO:
[nbcnews.com]

I have been a fan of Florida State, who originated the tomahawk chop and war chant and think they too need to perhaps retire both. The Kansas City NFL team uses both too.

PETA’s gripes seem very trivial compared to that.

@Scott321 Agreed! PETA’s agenda should occupy a lower rung on the ladder, compared with genocide, bigotry and racism. But to be fair, animal rights and human rights should not be seen as a competition.

Can't stand PETA, for so many reasons...

One reason why (or maybe two...)

The Secret Truth Behind PETA - Steve Hofstetter

PETA Tries to Trick Comedian - Steve Hofstetter

Yerp, virtually no one knows what a bullpen is outside of its baseball meaning. So this is misguided at best. PETA is their own worst enemy more often than not.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:631201
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.