Agnostic.com

6 10

Judge in the Kyle Rittenhouse murder trial used biblical "history" to explain the hearsay rule to the jury. IMHO, religion shouldn't be in a court house unless it is on trial. I've no problems with the judge explaining rules to a jury, but I am pretty sure he could have come up with a non religious example. The defense was objecting to a tape being brought into evidence.

Open SmartNews and read "It’s ‘Actually’ in ‘the Bible’: Kyle Rittenhouse’s Judge Explains Hearsay Rule to Jury by Talking About Trials of St. Paul the Apostle" here: [share.smartnews.com]
To read it on the web, tap here: [share.smartnews.com]

Beowulfsfriend 9 Nov 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Agree 100%

BD66 Level 8 Nov 4, 2021

As much as I am disheartened by the judge's comments and his poor example of "hearsay", so many judges have ruled back and forth over religious aspects in court its all just a damn spectacle now. It isn't even surprising or unexpected now. I guess the phrase I can make that best describes this would be, bedamned the constitution and the separation of church and state. A secular nation is nolonger secular when justices are biased with the indoctrination of religion to which they draw their judgment from. Personally I would much prefer, that as a prerequisite for becoming a justice in any court here in the country, it be required that the potential justice(s) be subjected to a test of impartiality to determine from whence they draw their guidance. Or simply make it where only those who are Athiest/Agnostic are permitted to obtain such positions. I can guarantee that if that were the case, the state of things in this country would drastically change. Alas, I digress.

Must be in Wisconsin? They're a bit presumptive of CON privilege up there.

That judge is dangerously incompetent. What if all the jurors were devout followers of the Norse gods?

He should recuse himself. This was entirely unnecessary and indicates bias.

I see it as being worse than that. My comment above refers.

@anglophone My comment speaks to how the issue could be practically handled within our existing system.

Although perhaps it should, I doubt a biblical reference would meet any standard for judicial incompetence. After all, the competition is mighty stiff.

I absolutely agree with you. Unfortunately we live in a theocratic society.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:631954
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.