Agnostic.com

7 1

Is it woo to claim Karma?

Shot elephant collapses on hunter killing him.

[theanimalclub.net]

FrayedBear 9 Nov 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That is sad and funny, a nomination for a Darwin award.
Nothing will beat vaccinated Darwin awards on going.

I abhor people who hunt for sport. While I can't bring myself to credit karma, I do find it to be a delicious example of poetic justice. It's just tragic that the elephant had to die for the hunter to get what he deserved.

I like the term poetic justice.

I assume you're joking by the way you phrased it, but I'll say my piece about karma anyway. Karma has no time constraints on it, so since good and bad shit happens all the time, one could just as easily believe in and anecdotally support my theory of Barma, where people get punished for good deeds and rewarded for bad ones.
Honestly, I don't know how anyone can look at Donald Trump and believe in karma.

Definitions of the word karma abound in various dictionaries and books on eastern philosophy. The one that make the most sense to me is that karma is what we do. All our actions or lack of action has consequences whether they are deemed minor or major, immediate or long term.There are always consequences and it makes no difference if we choose to ignore them or turn a blind eye to them.

Karma is not punishment for an action or lack of an action which would imply some external agency meting out punishment for misdeeds.

Depends on how you are defining Karma.
As a religious principle governed by some just spiritual being then yes it is definitely woo
How ever as a scientific principle it is indicative of Newtons 3rd law of motion
Socially making positive actions toward others does tend to increase the likelihood of other people wanting to reciprocate
Altruism does tend to be a proven positive evolutionary trait in humans (one person cannot fight a tiger, but twenty people can if it is to their mutual benefit)

There is no such thing as Karma.

It's human subjective thinking to see something like someone getting their just desserts and seeing it as 'karma'. We forget all the terrible things many people do with no karmic retribution and they die in their sleep peacefully. It's what our brains do, create patterns to explain what we see, but it's subjective and based on biased thinking. This asshole was involved in dangerous activities, and on this day he got whacked. My deepest condolences-- to the elephant.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:632334
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.