Agnostic.com

28 4

How about Synchronicity?

When weird things happen, how do you explain it? Coincidence?

Julieanne08 4 Apr 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Says it all.

I was going to type we fill in the gaps but you fully nailed it already.

It depends on the specific thing. A lot of strange coincidences are easily explained once we discover sufficient background facts. One problem that we have is that most of us don’t have any intuitive knowledge of statistics. Statistics help us make theoretical sense or otherwise inexplicable happenings. And that’s how weird things are de-mystified.

To me, shit just happens.

It's just your brain being a bit creative

Coincidence. Or, if you like, a myriad of uncountable causes inevitably leading to effects we can't know until they happen, sometimes simultaneously. Or something like that.

That we caused it, since physics indicates we are participating in creating our own universes/reality.
"For us believing physicists, the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." -Einstein.

:“I regard consciousness as fundamental and matter as derivative from consciousness." – Max Planck, theoretical physicist who originated quantum theory, 1918 Nobel Prize in Physics

It's a coincidence until it starts happening all the time.

My ex used to marvel about the times she looked at the odometer and it read something like 654321, figuring some sort of cosmic connection. What I tell her is she looks at the odometer all the time and never thinks twice about it when she sees a normal number.

godef Level 7 Apr 21, 2018

In research, there is no such thing as coincidence. There is usually a connection in most "connected' occurrencIn research, there is no such thing as coincidence. There is usually a connection in most "connected' occurrences. But sometimes things happen that we draw meaning from when there is none. Humans are conditioned to look for patterns and if one does not exist, we can always make one up. Isn't that how we came upon the gods of the human species?

It's an interesting idea, Jung was no fool. I certainly tend to experience it more when my mental state is positive and my life is on track, far less so when I am down. Sort of like the unconcious mind reinforcing good vibes. Or bringing things to attention that could use pondering. That the human mind can even notice and parse such things is a tribute to how complex it is and how complex its interplay with the world is.

Police jokes notwithstanding (and that was my first thought, too), I see nothing magic about coincidences. It's a mere matter of numbers and our propensity for pattern-matching. Loads of events happen in any given day, but the coincidences stand out because we are so good at seeing (and, sometimes, inventing) patterns.

Roll a die 1,000 times. If a 6 comes up 5 times in a row, does that mean something? Rhetorical question, obviously. It seems, to our brains, like it should mean something, but, since all numbers are equally likely (assuming a fair die) and all rolls are independent, then 5 6s in a row means no more than 1, 3, 6, 2, 3.

Great Police album!

and all my devices run across google on autosync!!

@Nickbeee LOL

I accept that weird things happen all the time. I make no attempt to explain things I know nothing about. It is what it is.

Coincidence is a human misunderstanding of randomly occurring events.

Once is happenstance.
Twice is coincidence.
Three times is enemy action.

Ian Fleming

"Weird things" are just things we don't understand. The more we know the rarer they become.
If you're asking whether coincidences are really coincidences, then yes they are.

Our minds have evolved to see patterns. If you look at almost anything you can see a human face in it if you try.

The phenomena you have described deals with Causation-the belief that things have a cause, and Correlation-the belief that two similar events are somehow tied together.

In a primative example an very ancient ancestor sees leaves rustle in a bush. The cause could be the wind or a lion. If the person runs or defends themself they lived if was a lion. If not they died. If it was only the wind they survive to reproduce and we get to have this conversation.

It does correlate that the leaves rustle when the loin brushes up agaist them or the wind blows. If we do not know the cause we are hard wired to "assign" a cause due to how we evolved.

As a result of this we do see coincidence or synchronicity where is is not real or factual as the events may be completely independent of one another.

We now normally do not see leaves rustle and think "therefore loin", neither should we look at synchronicity and think "therefore God" as many theist do, not that you have made that particular suggestion.

Something is taking place, when I have several things come together...seamlessly! Plus, there are usually odd signs that connect the easy flow of things!

Starts when wer'e children.

It depends on what you're calling "weird things," but I have no problem believing that coincidences happen. How I explain any event, be it ordinary or otherwise, depends on the evidence available to me.

Synchronicity..... what comes to mind is The Police (Sting)

I like it. It's by far the best album by The Police.

JimG Level 8 Apr 21, 2018

Yes, just coincidence.

Well, I've learned that shit like this can happen. I chalk it up to experience.

Yes, it is coincidence. But, ity is because of the things that you dif -- or did not do -- that you happened to be at the point laty which coincidence occurred.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:63251
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.